CRIMINALIZE TICKET TOUTS...UK fans left despondent

04/17/09 4:46 AM

I am left empty handed.
Having been looking forward to the NIN/JA gig in London for so long and my first time to see NIN live in concert (with Robin Finck no less!) I did everything possible to get a decent seated ticket. Here is my story:

- I used my membership via nin.com at 5pm bst on April 14th to get access to pre-sale tickets. By 5:01 there were all gone.

- I registered with o2 (a telecommunications conglomerate in the UK, and sponsor of the o2 arena) to gain access to pre-sale tickets the next day. No text message/promotional code was texted to me and when I eventually did get through to an operator I was told they weren't selling priority tickets for this concert.

- Last chance, i was poised on the phone at 08:50 this morning ready to get in the queue for 09:00. I kid you not when i was transfered to an operator at 09:00 he tells me ALL lower tier seated and standing tickets are now GONE! Who's buying these tickets depriving a longtime fan like me the chance to see them live? I'm sure the majority are genuine fans who got luckier, and some undoubtedly are freebies and industry give-aways for people who mostly couldn't give a damn, but...

as i trawled the internet over the next few minutes i realized that so many of these tickets were already on sale on obscenely overpriced "fan-fan exchange" and sold-out event websites, some charging up to £180 per ticket. Isn't this how the whole world economy collapsed in the first place? As ticketmaster allows 6 tickets to be sold per transaction there is nothing stopping a tout who probably doesn't give a rat's arse about NIN from gaining access to someone who works at ticketmaster, getting 6 tickets with a single transaction and selling them on to (richer) people like me making a killing.

I have paid for 5 NIN CDs, bought Ghosts 1-4 and bought the beside you in time DVD and am more than willing to pay the cost price for a ticket, but why should i part with my hard earned cash to line the pockets of some oppurtunistic shark whose presence only serves to ruin or rip-off (depedning on whether you get a ticket from these guys or not) what could be a magical night?

Ticket touting should be made illegal. If you can't make a concert you have already booked for, tickets should be returned and refunded from the official vendor so they can sell them on to other fans. If you can't make it at too short notice then ethical websites like Scarletmist will help you find a genuine buyer at COST price.

Why is everyone so greedy? Do other people have the same opinion as me? I'm not even going to try and get a ticket anymore. My anger at the whole wrong situation has made me want to boycott this concert.
Not that it makes one shred of difference to Trent & co, its sold out.

04/17/09 5:24 AM

capitalism.

sorry man sad smiley i feel your pain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 05:25AM by Si_2D.

04/17/09 5:45 AM

jonahsrevenge posted:

Bit harsh innit?

They go out of there way to make things good for fans. IE, reserving 10% of all tickets for sale on the website, which it is basically impossible for touts to get hold of. Giving away free music, iPhone apps, DVD footage etc. And stuff like allowing cameras into gigs and giving away the multi-tracks for remixing. I think for Trent & co it really does make a difference that their fans are treated well.

I know you're angry but NIN cannot control the ticket companies' policies. They really need to use conventional ticketing outlets; promoting every gig in every country would be impossible. As has been noted in The Brit Consulate, music tickets should be regulated in the same way that sporting tickets are. Then this whole mess would be cleared up in a jiffy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 05:58AM by paleenigma.

04/17/09 8:24 AM

Trent knows scalpers are scum fucks. And believe me, we have all been fucked by them, if not now but before.

Trent is speaking out against this sort of thing, and rightfully so because he knows the value of fans. Ticketmaster know only the value of money, and so will continue to lets touts fuck us all.

I have settled for a seating ticket at Manchester, because I'd rather be there than not, but if standing tickets pop up, I will certainly take them. And this is where you can gain hope. Because caring fans like us, and Trent's community that brings us together have bought up some of the better remaining tickets, if we were to get other tickets we would certainly sell the tickets we no longer need to attend the show.

Anyway. Yeah, if only the Ticket companies would take note of Trent's actions and words, everything would be much much easier.

04/17/09 9:37 AM

I do agree (how could I not?) that the touts need to be stopped or at the very least prevented from taking money from genuine fans who are possibly not going to be able to gain entry to the venue. That would fucking suck.

However, I don't understand why so many people are struggling to get tickets! There is more than enough information in the O2 thread if you look. I bought a first level seated ticket via the nin.com presale at about 5:10pm on Tuesday. A friend bought two tickets in the same block yesterday via See Tickets for virtually the same price I paid.

04/17/09 9:56 AM

"Not that it makes one shred of difference to Trent & co, its sold out."

I was only refering to the futility of my 'boycott' given that as long as there is a demand for tickets and people willing to pay extortionate prices for them, these touts will continue to exploit our love for music and our desire to witness it being played live regardless of the opinions of the fans or indeed Trent. I'm not suggesting for a second the blame lies with NIN but with the law and the regulation of the entertainment ticket market.

04/17/09 11:29 AM

04/17/09 11:43 AM

jonahsrevenge posted:
- I used my membership via nin.com at 5pm bst on April 14th to get access to pre-sale tickets. By 5:01 there were all gone.
I'm gonna depress you by saying at 5.04 I got my pre-sale tickets on nin.com, this message was coming up but after repeated cntrl+r I finally managed to get some.

It would annoy me as well if I hadn't got the tickets, but it's not Trent's fault, he's doing his best by his fans to get them the best seats in the house. It's sad that you didn't get tickets, but I'm sure there are other fans as well who didn't, hell if I hadn't known of the pre-sale I know I wouldn't have gotten tickets, I didn't get an e-mail from ticketmaster to well after the sale had started.

I'm sorry you couldn't get tickets man, hopefully you can go to manchester instead.

04/17/09 2:26 PM

jonahsrevenge posted:
"Not that it makes one shred of difference to Trent & co, its sold out."

I was only refering to the futility of my 'boycott' given that as long as there is a demand for tickets and people willing to pay extortionate prices for them, these touts will continue to exploit our love for music and our desire to witness it being played live regardless of the opinions of the fans or indeed Trent. I'm not suggesting for a second the blame lies with NIN but with the law and the regulation of the entertainment ticket market.

Trent probably values your boycott more than if you had paid to see him live smiling smiley I think it should be crimilized, but as TR pointed out, it's often the official ticket sellers themselves who give these tickets away to

04/17/09 3:16 PM

It's a real shame things like this happen sad smiley

When Prince played the O2 they went out of their way to shift the upper tier before releasing a pretty large number of lower tier and floor seats.
Some of the best seats were released for sale last of all.

I really don't know if O2/ ticketmaster are trying to pull the same crap with the NIN tickets but it wouldn't be a shock if they were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 04:44PM by Beatrix.

04/17/09 3:28 PM

i wont even comment on this original post. but as someone already mentioned Trent and NIN have tried to stop it all as much as possible...

04/17/09 5:45 PM

Beatrix posted:
It's a real shame things like this happen sad smiley

When Prince played the O2 they went out of their way to shift the upper tier before releasing a pretty large number of lower tier and floor seats.
Some of the best seats were released for sale last of all.

I really don't know if they are trying to pull the same crap with the NIN tickets but it wouldn't be a shock if they were.
When it comes to seats, the "best seats" are always sold last, because these are tickets returned by industry types who can't show up. It's pretty commonplace for arena venues.

Incase anyone's interested, here are two articles I wrote last year on ticket touting: one aimed at the industry, another at student consumers

[anastropheandcheese.wordpress.com]
[anastropheandcheese.wordpress.com]

04/18/09 3:44 AM

^^^^ Interesting reading,
Yes, I thought some would be cancelations, I think it was 3 blocks give or take a few seats,
Still, I had no idea there were that many reserved. eye popping smiley
At least that means some fans are likely to get good seats closer to the show date.

04/18/09 4:28 AM

It's interesting to look at it the other way aswell... I luckily managed to get standing tickets for Manchester through the pre-sale last Tuesday and was sent a venue pre-sale link a day later aswell. However, for fans who didn't have chance to buy through the pre-sales, if they wanted to buy standing tickets on general sale yesterday - tough! All the standing at both O2 and MEN were sold out and only seated remained.

I agree touts are scum and some kind of enforcement needs to be put in place. I also use ScarletMist and would advise anybody who can't go to use them. The odd sale falls through but on the whole, it's a good site.

04/18/09 8:27 AM

Seated tickets are still available according to seetickets at both venues.
[www.seetickets.com]

04/18/09 8:39 AM

Not to rain on your parade, but the tickets were available on the nin.com presale until at least 6, and I got a third ticket from the O2 presale a day after at 09:45.

I think you just had some bad luck, bro.

Although I do agree that scalping is completely wrong and abusive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2009 08:39AM by kapnclinton.

04/20/09 11:44 AM

I got mine from here: www.ticketline.co.uk

I just had another look & they appear to have tickets for both UK shows. Good luck smileys with beer

04/20/09 1:55 PM

jonahsrevenge posted:

Why is everyone so greedy? Do other people have the same opinion as me? I'm not even going to try and get a ticket anymore. My anger at the whole wrong situation has made me want to boycott this concert.

I feel your pain, I really do, but I really dont think NIN is the one band you need to be pist at for ripping you off (because they dont/wont)

I feel much better now, I finally managed to get standing tickets at what I feel is a decent price, considering they are from a third party seller. (£70 each - I got 2). Its my sisters fault I didnt get them in the pre-sale, she was meant to do it but forgot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 01:57PM by J..

04/20/09 6:43 PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 06:47PM by mallory.

nin forums : General Tour Discussion : CRIMINALIZE TICKET TOUTS......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy