The Crow

Page: <  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

11/18/11 3:43 AM

This morning I bought a second-hand video copy of The Crow: City Of Angels. Watched it this afternoon, trouble is, I was pretty tired and kept dozing off throughout the movie. What I saw of it, it was nowhere near as good as the first movie. I didn't expect it to be. I also wondered if the Sarah character in each movie was supposed to be the same person.

11/19/11 2:19 PM

the remake is all but dead in the water, but in case you're wondering what Bradley Cooper might have looked like as The Crow...

Concept Art For The Crow Reboot Revealed

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/c/concept-art-revealed-for-the-crow-reboot-71969-02-470-75.jpg

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/c/concept-art-revealed-for-the-crow-reboot-71969-04-470-75.jpg

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/c/concept-art-revealed-for-the-crow-reboot-71969-05-470-75.jpg

more pics at [www.totalfilm.com]

11/21/11 5:52 AM

Eh, at least they didn't make him look all emo.

11/23/11 4:22 AM

For me this movie is great..

12/02/11 9:50 AM

For me, the Crow movie has a truely unique feel and dark atmosphere, mixed with justice and redemption. Classic.thumbs up

12/02/11 12:56 PM

The reboot should be just left alone, the first one was classic.

12/04/11 6:35 AM

I thought Brandon Lee put on a superb performance as Eric Draven in The Crow and it is emotionally powerful, as it makes you feel really bad for what happened to Eric and his girlfriend when you see flashbacks of their life before they were killed. The action sequences were awesome as well.

It will always be one of my top favourite films.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2011 06:36AM by adamthemusicfan.

12/06/11 3:56 AM

^^ thumbs up

12/06/11 4:01 PM

maybe the coolest looking movie ever. but the black and white themes of the story are a little too simple for me now that i'm older - good vs. evil stuff, love never dies. i find it cheesey nowadays. but it's still so awesome to look at.

12/07/11 11:19 AM

beachpoet posted:
maybe the coolest looking movie ever. but the black and white themes of the story are a little too simple for me now that i'm older - good vs. evil stuff, love never dies. i find it cheesey nowadays. but it's still so awesome to look at.

The themes are pretty universal and straight-forward. Perhaps the Twilight movies and things like that have made made the concept of The Crow off putting?

I've thought about the morality of the character Eric Draven/The Crow. Was he actually a "good guy"? He killed people that we would consider to be "evil," but what gave him the right to be judge, jury and executioner? What about the big shoot-out at the end? He must have killed a few dozen people. Couldn't some of them have been redeemed and rehabilitated? Even if you agree that he had the right to kill Tin Tin, Funboy, T-Bird, Skank and Top-Dollar, did he have the right to kill the dozens of others?

12/07/11 5:02 PM

... an interesting point you make, rhett, in my opinion. on one hand, draven kind of seems like an anti-hero - the make-up, his clothes, being a rock n roller, and also kind of playing around with the fact that he's immortal - laughing when he gets shot. so, in other words, he's kind of a cool, bad-ass hero, as opposed to a squeeky clean, super virtuous hero.
but that's all on the surface.
when you look deeper, it's all about him coming back to avenge his beloved. how old is that concept - the avenging his beloved part? in other words, he's a hero motivated by romance - like an old knight.
... so that's really what i mean by "a little too simple" or even "cheesey" for me. it's not exactly the most complex motivation, or ways of estimating things, or values. like i said, it's pretty much black and white - good over evil (saying what is good or what is evil is actually completely subjective and complex) and love never dies (what really is love?)
like i said, a visually AWESOME movie, and one that will always be very dear to me. but the whole morality underlying the story ... it's just a little - naive.

12/15/11 7:06 PM

I still enjoy it, O'Barr must of been through rough stuff, after that happened to him, well done flick.

12/17/11 1:29 AM

Joan Cootes posted:
This morning I bought a second-hand video copy of The Crow: City Of Angels. Watched it this afternoon, trouble is, I was pretty tired and kept dozing off throughout the movie. What I saw of it, it was nowhere near as good as the first movie. I didn't expect it to be. I also wondered if the Sarah character in each movie was supposed to be the same person.

Someone said earlier in this thread that it was the same character. I thought that that was unclear, myself. I hope that it isn't. I'd hate for that character to just be killed off. I just want to pretend that that movie never happened.

As far as I'm concerned The Crow canon consists of:

The Crow film (1994)
The Crow film score
The Crow soundtrack
The Crow comic by James O'Barr

And that's it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2013 03:25AM by RhettButler.

12/18/11 3:46 AM

^^I have two copies of The Crow movie (one is a deluxe edition), and the soundtrack. Unfortunately I don't have the film score (is it still available?), or the original graphic novel (which I believe is available at Amazon).

12/18/11 6:48 AM

Joan Cootes posted:
^^I have two copies of The Crow movie (one is a deluxe edition), and the soundtrack. Unfortunately I don't have the film score (is it still available?), or the original graphic novel (which I believe is available at Amazon).

You can still get the score:
[www.amazon.com]
You can buy it new or used. Looks like you can get it pretty cheap.

You can buy the new special edition of the Crow comic:
[www.amazon.com]

Or the standard one:
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2011 06:50AM by RhettButler.

12/20/11 3:02 AM

^^Thank you for the links!! I will check those out. smiling smiley

Checked them out, and bought them!!! Early Christmas present to me. grinning smiley I bought the score and the special edition comic, wanted a poster as well, that really nice one of Eric Draven seated, but it can't be shipped to Australia for some reason. Oh well.. doesn't matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 03:21AM by Joan Cootes.

12/20/11 6:08 AM

Cool, hope you enjoy.

12/22/11 3:22 AM

Thank you, I'm sure I will. Thanks again for posting the links. smiling smiley

01/10/12 3:46 AM

Well, yesterday morning I took delivery of The Crow score by Graeme Revell, and the graphic novel. I listened to the album and the music is so sad and beautiful. I also had a bit of a look at the book, after I'd carefully covered it with clear plastic. I want to look after it and here's part of the reason why:

"A NOTE ON THE MAKING OF THIS BOOK

On the inner sleeve credits of the first four or five Queen albums, the band proudly proclaimed: 'No synthesizers were used in the recording of this LP.'

I'd like to borrow that statement: No computers were used in the making of this book. Everything in here is ink on paper. Even the lettering is hand done on the original art. The grey tones are the now obsolete techniques of duo-shade board and zip-a-tone. The new pages were completed in the same manner, using twenty-year-old leftover supplies from the original book. Jack White once said, 'Technology destroys art,' and I agree; you're not learning your craft when a computer does it for you.

I do have a computer, by the way - it's over there in the corner under those stacks of books and artwork, with Post-It notes stuck on its dusty screen.

A large cache of spiders is nesting in it, so it's not a total loss.

-James"

Thanks again, RhettButler, for posting those links. These are two items I will treasure.

01/11/12 2:54 PM

beachpoet posted:
... an interesting point you make, rhett, in my opinion. on one hand, draven kind of seems like an anti-hero - the make-up, his clothes, being a rock n roller, and also kind of playing around with the fact that he's immortal - laughing when he gets shot. so, in other words, he's kind of a cool, bad-ass hero, as opposed to a squeeky clean, super virtuous hero.
but that's all on the surface.
when you look deeper, it's all about him coming back to avenge his beloved. how old is that concept - the avenging his beloved part? in other words, he's a hero motivated by romance - like an old knight.
... so that's really what i mean by "a little too simple" or even "cheesey" for me. it's not exactly the most complex motivation, or ways of estimating things, or values. like i said, it's pretty much black and white - good over evil (saying what is good or what is evil is actually completely subjective and complex) and love never dies (what really is love?)
like i said, a visually AWESOME movie, and one that will always be very dear to me. but the whole morality underlying the story ... it's just a little - naive.

HMMM... I understood the Crow to be primarily an instrument of revenge, like a supernatural myth that cannot be stopped. The mix of the depth of their love, so brutally ended, by another force that was so maliciously intent on these expanding and self-serving crimes, created this avenging angel. That the Crow happens to do good or bad is a by-product, like a hurricane. Obviously he is not totally indiscriminate, but that is the revenge focus coming into play, and that he only has 1 day to work with. Remember he is also exploring the hurt of death and loss. His humanity comes through to a point as he does that (as far as an undead creature can), and reveals not only important lessons, but also a kind of enraging PTSD that translates directly into the strength of his revenge.

I also think his look comes from that he is back from the dead, not that he thinks it looks cool. And a lot of living rockers like to try to look all cool and mysterious or tough, but The Crow is the real deal. You're correct in that he doesn't come off like Superman or something, but he's really not supposed to because he's not a super-hero at all. That relates into the whole good or evil discussion, and why love is an integral part of his nature, not just a nice by-product for some mere mortal. He's not judging all criminals or saying they couldn't be reformed, or condoning the death penalty. He is righting what he sees as wrong directly with those who were the players at that time, and it is a fantasy. That simple justice doesn't happen in "the really real world"; It's just pure, unadulterated revenge, and I think the author was the 1st to admit that. The Crow's not a religious zealot, he's not the law, he's not an activist concerned with injustice everywhere--just his personal story, and that is an essential difference. He judges and executes those specific characters involved, sure, but he knows he is not God. That conversation is for the victims across the board, including himself, to have later (if there is a God). Love is oversimplified and cliche in movies, but it is also real. It loses something by trying to be more complex, or having a more holistic balance of histories and perspectives, I think. It just is, and for the purposes of The Crow, that is enough. I don't need more than that myself for this myth, maybe that makes me too simple, I'm not sure. It could be I am in the minority here because "Love Is Not Enough" heh heh.

As an illustrator myself, I can appreciate O'Barr's comments above in the new edition. He really does pour all his grief and rage and sadness into that ink onto real paper, it's a work that would not be conveyed in the same fashion into pixels. It's like a diary vs a blog. I really appreciate that people like this are still around.

RhettButler posted:
As far as I'm concerned The Crow cannon consists of:

The Crow film (1994)
The Crow film score
The Crow soundtrack
The Crow comic by James O'Barr

And that's it.

100% Agreed.

01/12/12 5:56 PM

votiVe posted:
HMMM... I understood the Crow to be primarily an instrument of revenge, like a supernatural myth that cannot be stopped. The mix of the depth of their love, so brutally ended, by another force that was so maliciously intent on these expanding and self-serving crimes, created this avenging angel. That the Crow happens to do good or bad is a by-product, like a hurricane.

Well stated, good point/analogy.

05/16/12 5:54 AM

The Crow is on television right now!!!!! I just changed channel and saw the part where Tin Tin is trying to sell rings to the pawnbroker, and then the scene where Eric is jumping over the tops of the buildings and "Dead Souls" is playing.

I just saw the scene with the tombstone snow globe and the girl's eyes are about to be cut out. That snow globe certainly is impressive and I would like to see a photo of RhettButler's tattoo of it some time. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 06:01AM by Joan Cootes.

05/16/12 12:32 PM

Joan Cootes posted:
The Crow is on television right now!!!!! I just changed channel and saw the part where Tin Tin is trying to sell rings to the pawnbroker, and then the scene where Eric is jumping over the tops of the buildings and "Dead Souls" is playing.

I just saw the scene with the tombstone snow globe and the girl's eyes are about to be cut out. That snow globe certainly is impressive and I would like to see a photo of RhettButler's tattoo of it some time. smiling smiley

I'llhave to post it sometime, it came out really cool.

05/18/12 5:36 AM

RhettButler posted:
Joan Cootes posted:

I'llhave to post it sometime, it came out really cool.

Excellent!!!! smiling smiley

08/14/12 2:27 PM

http://i46.tinypic.com/mvnptt.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/344bm1u.jpg
My Crow tattoo, based on Top Dollar's snow globe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2012 03:02PM by RhettButler.

08/14/12 4:43 PM

Wow!
Nice.

08/16/12 6:27 AM

Really really nice, Rhett!!!! smiling smiley

08/16/12 9:59 AM

Thanks,

It was based from this:
http://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/default/480c0787bb497/The-Crow-1994-movie-props.jpg

My tattoo looks sharper than the way it looks in the picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2012 05:08PM by RhettButler.

08/17/12 5:11 PM

Abashed the Devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is.

08/18/12 6:20 AM

RhettButler posted:
Thanks,

It was based from this:
http://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/default/480c0787bb497/The-Crow-1994-movie-props.jpg

My tattoo looks sharper than the way it looks in the picture.

You're very welcome. I knew what it was based on because you've mentioned it before. smiling smiley

nin forums : TV & Movies : The Crow
Page: <  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy