Twilight Zone, 50s/60s and 80s series

Page:  1 2 3 >

10/20/10 9:06 PM

I have been a fan of The Twilight Zone ever since I was a kid. I think Rod Serling's version from the 50s/60s was the best, but the re-boot from the 80s was also great as well.

Some of my favorites:

The Living Doll (talking Tina)

Five Characters In Search Of An Exit

The Four of us are Dying

The Dummy

A Piano In The House

The one where a woman keeps going back in time on a horse to warn a younger version of herself not to marry the wrong man.

That show said so much, albeit in code, that no show would ever tackle during the Cold War. It tackled existentialism, racism, fear of nuclear war, death, and the meaning of life.

The 80s version was almost as good, but it's never on TV. Never saw the 2002 version.

10/20/10 9:16 PM

I like the 50s/60s version. Never saw the 80s version. I hate the 2002 version; it's incredibly boring.

10/20/10 9:22 PM

patrick_nicholas posted:
I like the 50s/60s version. Never saw the 80s version. I hate the 2002 version; it's incredibly boring.

If you ever get a chance, check out the 85-89 version. Very well written.

10/21/10 7:21 AM

I didn't know their was an 80's version.. I've seen stuff from the 50s and 60s and really love it.
But I've seen some of the 2002 episodes and they are just awful. One I remember had to do with some gang member got killed over graffiti and everyday this mural painted it self and eventually showed the killer.

10/21/10 4:02 PM

Like you Rhett, i´ve been a fan of that show since i was a kid. Remember that Serling wrote the majority of the episodes. I think that made a big difference.

I don´t remember by heart all the episodes, but i love:

Time Enough at Last
The Eye of the Beholder
Twenty-Two
It's a Good Life
The Dummy
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
From Agnes—With Love
(wikipedia)

and many more!!!

I dont know, but i clearly recall 2. But i think these wore from The Outer Limits!
1. A man has a car crash and stays immobilized. He is considered dead and goes to the morgue. When they are about to make an autopsy, he cries and is saved.
2. A man tries to escape prison in a coffin and ends up being buried alive.

10/21/10 11:15 PM

Did you guys ever watch Night Gallery hosted by Rod Sterling? It was pretty much a spin off of TZ in the 70s. Great show.

my fav TZ episode was the one where burgess meridith is the banker who loves to read, and...well, for all that know it....i'll leave it at that....

10/22/10 2:31 AM

The Twilight Zone is such a brilliant tv series. there are so many classic moments from the original series. i always try to catch the marathons they have on the SyFY channel. there are so many great episodes, but just off the top of my head some of my fav episodes from the original series are:

To Serve Man
Time Enough At Last
Eye Of The Beholder
The Obsolete Man
The Shelter
Shadow Play
Nightmare At 20,000 Feet

overall, the 80s version was not as consistently good, but definitely had episodes that captured some of the brilliance of the original, like:

A Little Peace And Quiet
Button Button
A Small Talent For War
I Of Newton

RhettButler posted:

The 80s version was almost as good, but it's never on TV. Never saw the 2002 version.

they show a lot of 80s Twilight Zone episodes on Chiller TV if you have that channel.

BattleOfNY posted:
my fav TZ episode was the one where burgess meridith is the banker who loves to read, and...well, for all that know it....i'll leave it at that....
that sounds like Time Enough At Last

10/27/10 5:29 PM

Oh hell yes, I just ordered the entire series, of the classic show.

Been enjoying the 80s reboot which is awesome.

10/29/10 5:01 PM

Watch some classic episodes here.

11/10/10 11:06 PM

Love the original version, the 80's version was good too, despise the 2000s version.

I wish SyFy would show this more often, it's one of the better shows they have IMO.

11/11/10 1:36 AM

Too many hacks on the 2002 incarnation--Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson? That's what you get for putting the show on UPN.

11/11/10 7:05 PM

so what did you all think of the Twilight Zone movie from the 80's?

i rather enjoyed it. the intro with Dan Akroyd and Albert Brooks made me jump out of my seat the first time i saw it, haha. i liked all of the episodes they put in, but John Lithgow in Nightmare At 20,000 Feet was probably the best one in the movie.

11/11/10 8:54 PM

Haven't seen it in ages. Heard there might be a new movie out at some point.

12/18/10 11:53 AM

Got the 2002 boxset, and yes, it blows.

Actually, some of them are okay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 08:18AM by RhettButler.

12/31/10 2:59 PM

The Twilight Zone Marathon on SyFy all today and tomorrow! smiling smiley

they're gonna be showing lots of classic episodes, all from the original series. how am i supposed to get ready for New Years Eve?
Schedule

01/01/11 6:27 AM

Sounds awesome. I could spend hours watching TZ.

01/03/11 5:04 PM

RIP Anne Francis

http://i.imgur.com/LpqEB.jpg

i mention this here because she was in a couple of classic Twilight Zone episodes, After Hours (pic above) and Jess-Belle. and of course, she was in the classic sci-fi film Forbidden Planet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 03:35PM by romeo_void.

01/04/11 4:16 AM

I didn't realize that she was that old. RIP.

01/04/11 4:26 AM

romeo_void posted:
RIP Anne Francis

http://donnatrussell.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/after-hours.jpg

i mention this here because she was in a couple of classic Twilight Zone episodes, After Hours (pic above) and Jess-Belle. and of course, she was in the classic sci-fi film Forbidden Planet.

I'm really very sorry to hear that. I watched "Forbidden Planet" again just the other day. She really was a beautiful woman and will be sorely missed. RIP

01/06/11 9:40 PM

My favorite episode is "Time Enough At Last" with Burgess Meredith. So fucking twisted. Again....has anyone checked out Night Gallery?

06/30/11 3:33 PM

Submitted for your approval...

Bio-pic about Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling in the works
"Andrew Meieran and his Bureau of Moving Pictures has acquired rights to make a movie about Rod Serling, the Twilight Zone creator who left behind a remarkable legacy of sci-fi and fantasy work. Stanley Weiser, who wrote Wall Street with Oliver Stone, will script the movie. Serling's widow Carol Serling will be a producer along with Meieran.

'Rod Serling was one of the true visionaries in television history,' Meieran said. 'He single-handedly broke the mold and established television as a powerful artistic medium capable of changing the world when used wisely.'
"
(via Deadline)

smiling smiley

06/30/11 3:39 PM

Buying the complete collection has been a good investment--the writing, acting, cinematography, acting--superb. Each episode is like a mini-masterpiece.

Almost done with series 3 of the 80s revival. It was surprisingly really good--an improvement of the second series. Still not as good as the original show.

06/30/11 3:39 PM

romeo_void posted:
Submitted for your approval...

Bio-pic about Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling in the works
"Andrew Meieran and his Bureau of Moving Pictures has acquired rights to make a movie about Rod Serling, the Twilight Zone creator who left behind a remarkable legacy of sci-fi and fantasy work. Stanley Weiser, who wrote Wall Street with Oliver Stone, will script the movie. Serling's widow Carol Serling will be a producer along with Meieran.

'Rod Serling was one of the true visionaries in television history,' Meieran said. 'He single-handedly broke the mold and established television as a powerful artistic medium capable of changing the world when used wisely.'
"
(via Deadline)

smiling smiley

AMPED!

07/02/11 1:12 PM

oh, hell yeah! cancel my 4th of July plans. just found out SyFy is having a Twilight Zone marathon the 3rd and 4th. grinning smiley

i find @YourNextStop on twitter to be a handy guide during marathons.

and also just found a blog dedicated to The Twilight Zone smiling smiley
Fuck Yeah, Twilight Zone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2011 04:55PM by romeo_void.

07/04/11 9:29 AM

Marathon on Sci-Fyi today.

10/01/11 11:17 AM

Looks like a new Twilight Zone movie has been given a green light! They are currently looking for directors.

"Warner Bros is in talks with Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay, Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men), Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) and David Yates (Harry Potter films) for a new movie adaptation of The Twilight Zone. The 1983 Twilight Zone movie was presented as an anthology, each of the four stories helmed by A-list directors: Steven Spielberg, John Landis, Joe Dante and George Miller. Hollywood no longer likes the idea of an anthology film (note Warner Bros’ handling of the highly praised 2007 horror anthology film Trick ‘r Treat), so the new movie is one storyline, and will require a single director."

My hopes are for Nolan or Cuaron, but I'm just excited to hear its finally moving forward smiling smiley

10/01/11 11:30 AM

Keep Michael Bay away from this thing, PLEASE!

10/03/11 9:08 PM

RhettButler posted:
Keep Michael Bay away from this thing, PLEASE!
Yes, totally agree. If it was up to me, I would take Michael Bay's name completely out and replace it with Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code)

or maybe JJ Abrams. I hear he's a huge Twilight Zone fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 10:46PM by romeo_void.

10/10/11 6:58 PM

10/18/11 12:33 PM

New Twilight Zone Film Moves Forward With Matt Reeves As Director
Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let Me In) has been chosen by Warner Bros to direct The Twilight Zone. Jason Rothenberg (Body Politic) wrote the script, which will be “one big science fiction action movie with a single freestanding story that is linked to the original series mainly in that it shares that familiarly eerie feel.” It will be produced by Appian Way, Leonardo DiCaprio's production company.
from [collider.com]

nin forums : TV & Movies : Twilight Zone, 50s/60s and ...
Page:  1 2 3 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy