Star Trek

Page: <  1 2 3 >

05/11/09 9:22 AM

Saw it again last night with my wife who hates sci-fi. She liked it too. About half way through she whispers "I thought Simon Pegg was in this." Stayed for the credits this time and had to smile when it said the effects were done by Lucas Arts. Heh.

05/11/09 9:53 AM

silverphoenix posted:
gotta love how non-trekkies actually might be interested in seein a star trek movie.

heh. j.j. abrams is awesome.drinking smiley

Yup. I would be one of them. I'm watching it later this week...

05/11/09 10:14 AM

Took my mom to see it for Mothers Day. Opening scenes I almost cried. Considering J.J. Abrams wasn't a fan of the original series I thought it was very well done. I'll definitely see it again when it comes out on DVD.

J.J. Abrams on the Colbert Report

~J

05/11/09 11:02 AM

Saw it yesterday, having never really payed much attention to Star Trek before. It really is a great movie, I think I'm gonna have to watch some of the old episodes...

05/11/09 8:29 PM

Just saw it, was GONNA take my Mom too Joan but alas...

VERY COOL SHIT! LOVED IT! Just ab-so -lutely AMAZING! F-ing AWESOME thumbs up thumbs up

It is how Star Trek was originally MEANT to be done. I wish Gene Rodenberry would have lived to see it! It was AMAZING! It reminded me of the first time I saw the orignal Star Wars at 8 years old.

Ya know artists think up this stuff and dream the dreams and the possibilities, but SCIENCE is where it's at. Science will make the dreams reality. I'm thinking if you want to have a career that is truely timeless, one that makes a difference, science is where it's at!

God I wanna go see it again already! grinning smiley LOOOOOOOVED IT! Just loved it! Can't wait for future films!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 08:30PM by janedoepa.

05/11/09 8:33 PM

KetchupNotMayo posted:
Saw it yesterday, having never really payed much attention to Star Trek before. It really is a great movie, I think I'm gonna have to watch some of the old episodes...

Yea, try to find The Menagerie. Episodes 11 and 12. Tells the history of Pike and a really good episode too.

05/11/09 8:43 PM

I'm not a Trekkie or Trekker in the least. I've caught a few eps of the original series but I mainly watched The Next Generation as a teenager. I got familiar with most of the characters through pop references on Family Guy or other tv and podcast shows over the years. I was nevertheless looking very much forward to this movie.

My mildly enthusiastic brother and I went to an early Friday showing. It did not disappoint. Full of entertaining but logical action scenes. I count "Kirk's" performance as action scenes. He was that good. The rest of the cast was also perfectly cast, IMO. "Spok" was the first obvious choice knowing his work from 'Heroes.' "Scotty" and Dr. McCoy were very spot-on in their roles for this movie. "Nero" was a solid introductory villain to this possibly new series of films. The time-traveling aspect of the story was very JJ and it wasn't too perplexing.

The visuals were a mix of 'Battlestar' and the new 'Star Wars' movies. I thought they looked very realistic and didn't look too "sci-fi." The sounds weren't blown out of proportion either. They didn't try to make the audience deaf like Lucas' latest works have done. The sound effect for the ships going into warp speed was awesome. The sets were real too! Go figure.

I liked it a lot - 8/10!

05/13/09 2:44 AM

I always feel guilty for not loving this movie. But it didn't work for me, and mostly because nothing in the movie makes any sort of sense.

Yes, and the characters are correct for the most part, although it seemed like some were done just for humor effect. And for the most part some the scenes are funny.

But... the Black Hole thing just kept dragging me out of the movie. First off, Black Holes suck in everything, even light. So the fact that it is somehow a time travel device is beyond me. But if you had the power to create black holes, YOU COULDN'T STOP IT! So if you set off a black hole in the a plantary system, it would affect every planet in that system. Fact is that the SUN keeps us from flying off into the galaxy never to be seen again. So a black hole set off say near NEPTUNE would cause our planet in the least to fly away from the sun and probably destroy earth in the long run. Plus the fact that they use a pin drop to create a small one... they had a enough to destroy the whole galaxy.

Plus the bad guy is the worst. "Hey you came back in time, AND YOU CAN STILL SAVE YOUR PLANET!" "No thanks, I'm going to wait around for 25 years for someone else to show up." What? His motivations don't make any sense. I really don't know why Eric Bana is in this movie... I guess he had bills to pay.

And how many times can Kirk be choked or hang from stuff in the movie?

I could go on.

But I find it fascinating that everyone is talking about Star Trek now. Too bad they had to dumb it down. I don't know why everyone is giving it rave reviews. It's okay at best.

05/13/09 9:36 AM

Am off to see it tonight!!

grinning smiley

05/14/09 3:43 AM

Ignoring the blatant bending of the rules of physics, etc and the f*ck awful, equally-blatant product placements (Nokia and Budweiser)...

I LOVED THIS FILM!!!

smiling bouncing smiley

Yes, it's Star Trek. Yes, we're gonna be gleefully picking holes in the science and the plot, but that's what we DO with Star Trek stuff! (I myself have submitted stuff to The Nit-Pickers Guild in the past.) But the film had lots of action, lots of explosions, lots of cool gadgets, trekkie in-jokes ...and possibly the most gorgeous Spock EVER!!!

What's not to like???

grinning smiley

05/14/09 4:06 AM

as i've said in another thread, i stole a shitty cam of the movie and was very impressed. j.j. has redeemed himself a little in my eyes with this.

i hate just about everything he's created beforehand. a season or two of a show may be good, but then they just degenerate into idiocy for me. after seeing this, i think he's much better suited to creating films rather than television series.

that said, i step out of my flamesuit and say this: as a non-trekkie who watches the shows if they're on when i'm flipping channels, and who thinks first contact was a pretty cool film, i really dig this movie.

he did a great job with casting, updating the look of the ships, landscapes and cities without going too far [like lost in space a few years back], and the use of CG was seemingly [remember, i watched a shitty cam] well done and used to enhance the live action, rather than to cover it's shorcomings like the star wars prequels did.

my only issues with it are some of the scoring - there's a little too much of a disneyesque tone, especially with the early captain kirk scenes, and some of the signature stings & sounds from the lost score creeps in a lot, usually when something big is about to happen.

my only other issue the lack of quieter, more character-driven moments in between the action. i dig star trek for its contemplative nature, and the conversations between the characters when i do watch episodes, but this seemed to only have a few small sections like this, and jumped from action scene to action scene a bit too much.

the pace of the film reminds me more of starship troopers than star trek, but with better acting and a more interesting storyline, even though time travel always fucks up my mental processes if i think about it too much.

the film is enjoyable enough that it would have been great to have another 30 minutes/hour of character & story development integrated into the film that made the cinema cut. hopefully the dvd release will feature a longer version of the current film.

as a non-trekkie who likes the star trek world that he's seen, mostly deep space nine & next generation, i'd give it 4 out of 5, and will be trying to catch the IMAX screenings of this soon, failing that, buying a dvd, rather than ripping it off the net. again.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 04:37AM by pask.

05/14/09 9:03 PM

I FINALLY saw it... and I loved it.

That is all. No long review... don't feel like it.

05/22/09 6:58 AM

I've seen it again and I have to add, from a strictly humerous point of view the following: The funniest part of the movie for me is when Spock is standing in front of the Vulcan council and the guy starts going on about how well Spock has done "inspite of his draw backs". AKA: being 1/2 human. When Spock declines the opportunity, and decides to further his education in Star Fleet Acadamy. His "Live Long and Prosper". Was the best " FU " I think I've ever heard.

05/22/09 9:29 AM

this movie actually disappointed me. i think my expectations were a little too high. but, it just didn't feel like a star trek movie to me. it was more like a generic sci-fi movie. they just made way too many changes. too much camera movement for me - i think the camera stopped moving for only a few minutes in the entire movie. the only character i liked was mccoy. the random use of a beastie boys song was just plain retarded and really threw me off.

i give it 3 out of 5 stars.

05/23/09 10:39 AM

i saw it with my trekkie father last weekend and loved it. i remember watching the old series as a kid really liking it, so i had to see this. on a teenage girl note: Chris Pine is way hotter than Shatner. grinning smiley

05/23/09 9:49 PM

I'll say it: I really fucking loathe Star Trek and all it's stupid crap. . . yet I thoroughly enjoyed this movie SO MUCH. A friend made me go (I made her go to Watchmen so I kind of owed it to her though I went kicking and screaming) and I was stunned that it was as good as it was. Truly stunned. Now, I won't go back and watch the TV shows because I have no desire to (saw some over the years, didn't like) so these guys are my Star Trek. I'll be seeing it again. Definately.

05/24/09 2:19 AM

ZOMG STAR WARS AWESOME.

SPOWCK IS TEH AHSUME.!

05/24/09 5:15 PM

mattmclean32 posted:
I always feel guilty for not loving this movie. But it didn't work for me, and mostly because nothing in the movie makes any sort of sense.

Yes, and the characters are correct for the most part, although it seemed like some were done just for humor effect. And for the most part some the scenes are funny.

But... the Black Hole thing just kept dragging me out of the movie. First off, Black Holes suck in everything, even light. So the fact that it is somehow a time travel device is beyond me. But if you had the power to create black holes, YOU COULDN'T STOP IT! So if you set off a black hole in the a plantary system, it would affect every planet in that system. Fact is that the SUN keeps us from flying off into the galaxy never to be seen again. So a black hole set off say near NEPTUNE would cause our planet in the least to fly away from the sun and probably destroy earth in the long run. Plus the fact that they use a pin drop to create a small one... they had a enough to destroy the whole galaxy.

Plus the bad guy is the worst. "Hey you came back in time, AND YOU CAN STILL SAVE YOUR PLANET!" "No thanks, I'm going to wait around for 25 years for someone else to show up." What? His motivations don't make any sense. I really don't know why Eric Bana is in this movie... I guess he had bills to pay.

And how many times can Kirk be choked or hang from stuff in the movie?

I could go on.

But I find it fascinating that everyone is talking about Star Trek now. Too bad they had to dumb it down. I don't know why everyone is giving it rave reviews. It's okay at best.

I've been a casual fan (not fanatic) of Trek my whole life and liked this movie in spite of the changes.

I've heard a number of gripes about this storyline from die-hard Trekkies, but I would pose this in rebuff:

Has anyone here ever been through a black hole? No one knows what is on the other side or what the exact result is. We are only "mostly" sure they even exist, so as we have very little real world understanding of black hole mechanics, I don't think the sci-fi was too liberal.

As for why Nero did not save Romulus - he sort of explained that to Pike. He wanted to first destroy the Federation, and he needed to wait on Spock's "Red Matter" to do that, then return home to Romulus and further propagate his species throughout the galaxy.

Overall, I think that it is important to remember that this is fiction - and its entertainment, and there is no harm in subtly modifying a "franchise" to perpetuate a good story for future audiences.

Moreover, the truth is that no matter how JJ and crew approached restarting the series, he was certainly going to piss off some nerds along the way.

It's a good movie. Enjoy it as such. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2009 05:17PM by somewhat82.

05/28/09 5:11 PM

I've seen it four times in the theater, and several times through... other means.

05/29/09 10:33 PM

People have their opinions about this movie but in all honesty those with the common negative comments about this movie are irrelevant you're all fucking douche bags over analyzing every aspect of the film and passing it off as just another sci-fi film and so on, so forth.

Switch the fuck off and enjoy shit for what it is.

EDIT: Also the black hole nit picks. LMFAO

Clearly there are idiots on this planet who think they know all, person above me is right...black holes are nothing but an educated scientific guess.

No one has seen a black hole, no one knows what one (to say if such a thing even exists) would even fucking do, so let me make this clear to those who think they have some class A universal graduate card of all things knowledgeable. Get the flying SEVEN FORTY SEVEN FUCK over yourselves.

Or continue to act like clowns and emit stupidity, everyone likes a bit of comedy right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 10:52PM by thelastdisciple.

05/31/09 11:40 PM

Saw it.. Was pretty damn good..

06/09/09 8:15 PM

I thought this movie was great. Never a dull moment in it.

I was particularly impressed with Karl Urban. Playing McCoy was a huge leap from his usual movie roles. LOTR, Borne Supremacy, Chronicles of Riddick, etc. He was a real scene stealer in this one.

06/10/09 3:41 AM

Gotta love JJ Abrams to breathe life back into the series smiling smiley

06/12/09 7:31 PM

I have seen the movie twice now. I have been a casual trekkie for many years and I really enjoyed it. The combination of wanton violence and humor captured the spirit of TOS quite well.

There was a moment of utter panic on my part when I saw ALL the starfleet students were wearing red. I thought it was going to be super-carnage.

Exposing my ignorance - it did not occur to me that Nero could have saved his planet. Whoops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 07:33PM by xantres.

06/12/09 7:50 PM

Here is the deal: No Shatner, No Star Trek. Case closed in my book.

06/12/09 9:51 PM

^I heard he was being a priiiiiiiiiick about it. o.o

06/13/09 4:18 PM

vampirebunnypersonaljesus posted:

He was. But than again, I would be, too if they never even called me about it. JJ never once called Shatner about anything, even the fact they were gonna remake it. I would be SUPER PISSED! Especially considering NIMOY came back. Which I don't have a problem with, but it's the fact that he came back without Bill. Puts a tear in my eye not seeing those two together.

06/14/09 3:10 PM

fenderbender posted:
vampirebunnypersonaljesus posted:

He was. But than again, I would be, too if they never even called me about it. JJ never once called Shatner about anything, even the fact they were gonna remake it. I would be SUPER PISSED! Especially considering NIMOY came back. Which I don't have a problem with, but it's the fact that he came back without Bill. Puts a tear in my eye not seeing those two together.

it didn't fit the story for Shatner to be in there and a cheesy cameo would have felt out of place...so they didn't purposefully write a role for Shatner, who cares? Well, obviously you do...but the movie was great...and the fact that Leonard had a role in it was awesome...

you see, I don't even really like the series or any of the previous movies but this movie fucking rocked!

the end

06/16/09 5:01 PM

The new movie was amazing wasn't it.

06/16/09 5:06 PM

bowiefanperson posted:
The new movie was amazing wasn't it.

yes it was! it satisfied all my movie needs. when the dvd comes out its all i'm gonna watch until i get sick of it.

nin forums : TV & Movies : Star Trek
Page: <  1 2 3 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy