Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 >

01/07/09 10:59 AM

-Neil Gaiman
-Neal Stephenson
-Chuck Palahniuk
-Anne Rice
-Poppy Z Brite
-Clive Barker

None of these authors are particularly bad, and I enjoy at least one book by each of them, but they're all over-rated. It's like asking someone who their favorite director is, and there's always a 50/50 chance they'll say Tim Burton or Stanley Kubrick.

01/07/09 12:44 PM

Margaret Atwood
Dean Koontz
Stephenie Meyer
Emily Bronte--Wuthering Heights is boring. Jane Eyre is so much better.

01/07/09 1:10 PM

J.K. fucking Rowling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 01:12PM by Aurora D.

01/07/09 2:45 PM

It's pretty easy to generalise, but I'll go with: Anyone that got rich writing vampire novels.

Also, I'll second Rowling (I love the books myself, but she's certainly not that good a writer)

01/07/09 4:46 PM

Because we all needed another thread to antagonize people and feed trolls.

01/08/09 6:19 AM

Dean Koontz. I can't stand his novels. I just get.....bored.

I don't know why.

Anne Rice towards the end of the Chronicles was very blaaaaaah. There is only so many times you can reiterate about vampires, sex, sex, and sex.

01/16/09 7:12 PM

mary higgins clark

01/16/09 9:46 PM

I wouldn't say he's over-rated, but Joeseph Conrad leaves me wondering what all the fuss is about. He just does nothing for me.

01/16/09 10:14 PM

Aurora D posted:
J.K. fucking Rowling.

totally. is there nothing she hasn't ripped off yet?

koontz & king. both are mind-numbingly boring.

how anyone can besmirch the good name of clive barker though is beyond me. imajica & weaveworld are my two fave fictions.

fair enough anne rice is a bit of hit & miss. some books are amazing, others are ridiculous or boring and long-winded.

01/17/09 5:35 PM

As for overrated from me, I'm gonna go with HEMINGWAY, POE, and PALAHNIUK.

In this thread that I disagree with: KING, GAIMAN, BARKER.

01/17/09 7:36 PM

Fuck you on Gaiman and Stephenson.

I think Dan Brown is overrated. Oooh, he writes about controversial stuff!

01/17/09 8:21 PM

chrisgonzo posted:
I wouldn't say he's over-rated, but Joeseph Conrad leaves me wondering what all the fuss is about. He just does nothing for me.
I had a professor lament on how slow and boring Heart of Darkness was, but that it is something that should be read if you are going to study 20th Century literature because it's a pioneering work. I think it's ok.
I thought the whole Harry Potter series was was overrated. I still felt like I was reading children books throughout the series.
I also despise D.H. Lawrence

01/18/09 7:40 AM

Though I've read her books and enjoyed them, i still think Jodi Piccoult is totally over-rated.

I gotta agree Wuthering Heights was totally boring and Dan Brown, Davinci code was BORING book and movie... GAH

01/18/09 2:47 PM

J. R. R. Tolkien.
I'll admit that it may just be my taste, but I find his writing unbearably slow. I'm sorry, but I really don't need a detailed description of each and every stone on the path to the elven city - let me use my imagination a bit!

01/18/09 2:37 PM

STEPHANIE MEYER.

01/18/09 3:37 PM

Aurora D posted:
J.K. fucking Rowling.

01/18/09 3:40 PM

And Stephanie Meyer of course.

01/20/09 8:55 AM

I tend to be disappointed with most authors I read, but these spring to mind at the moment:
JK Rowling
Ruth Rendell
Dan Brown (although I did like Angels and Demons)
Stephanie Meyer
Charles Dickens
Jonathan Swift

The first four I just think are untalented, the last two over-write everything. I can't stand authors who take 72 pages saying something which anyone else could have said in about 5.

01/20/09 9:49 AM

[quote Miss_Destruction]Dean Koontz. I can't stand his novels. I just get.....bored.

I don't know why.

[quote]

How ? I wanted to be an author because of him!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 09:49AM by Shutout0.

01/24/09 7:44 AM

Albert Camus!!! And Robert Schneider! urgh

01/27/09 7:03 AM

Chuck Palahniuk overrated ? This guys has as many fans as detractors !

I don't know if she's very famous in the U.S.A. but to me, Amélie Nothomb is really overrated. She's so pretentious that you feel it through her characters.

I don't know if anyone has read Fear and trembling from her, but when I've finished it, I just wanted to throw it into my toilets (those who read it will understand why), then I've remembered that the book belongs to my sister, so I put it back on her shelf.

01/29/09 3:56 PM

[quote theremoteviewer]

-Neil Gaiman
-Chuck Palahniuk

Disagree, it is hard to hate The Sandman and Fight Club

grinning smileytongue sticking out smiley

01/29/09 6:09 PM

[quote Smackbang][quote theremoteviewer]

-Neil Gaiman
-Chuck Palahniuk

Disagree, it is hard to hate The Sandman and Fight Club

grinning smileytongue sticking out smiley[/quote]

Smackbang speaks the truth.

01/29/09 7:19 PM

Me spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

01/30/09 11:11 AM

theremoteviewer posted:
-Clive Barker
I'm a huge Barker fan, but I'm not really objecting because of that, I just think it's weird that you'd call him overrated since he's not really that highly regarded in the first place. He doesn't have a huge mainstream following like Rowling or King, he doesn't have a hipster subculture following like Chuck P and he's not huge in the intellectual circuit either like Pynchon or Faulkner. Critically speaking, he gets decent reviews (usually nothing exceptional), and he's only won one major award which was way back in 86-87.

theremoteviewer posted:
It's like asking someone who their favorite director is, and there's always a 50/50 chance they'll say Tim Burton or Stanley Kubrick.
Heh... I think other directors get more praise, but whatever. FTR, I think Kubrick is one of only two good American directors which is saying a lot, but he's not in my top 5.

01/30/09 1:26 PM

theremoteviewer posted:
-Neil Gaiman
-Neal Stephenson
-Chuck Palahniuk
-Anne Rice
-Poppy Z Brite
-Clive Barker

None of these authors are particularly bad, and I enjoy at least one book by each of them, but they're all over-rated. It's like asking someone who their favorite director is, and there's always a 50/50 chance they'll say Tim Burton or Stanley Kubrick.

I don't think he's overrated.

02/01/09 11:22 AM

-Hemingway

Obviously Rowling and Meyers are overrated...they don't even have to be mentioned.

02/01/09 12:22 PM

Chuck Palahniuk, most definitely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2009 03:25PM by hillstromantic.

02/01/09 1:07 PM

stephanie fucking meyer! she's not that great! she just wrote about interesting characters.

02/01/09 4:18 PM

shesstellar posted:
-Hemingway

Obviously Rowling and Meyers are overrated...they don't even have to be mentioned.

Agreed. For Whom the Bell Tolls is the only book I've ever started and not been able to finish.

nin forums : Print Media : Authors that are over-rated
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy