05: american mc gee's alice
06: legacy of kain: soul reaver
07: fatal frame
08: ghost recon: advanced warfighter 2
09: and yet it moves
10: space giraffe

06/01/09 7:43 AM

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 09:45AM by themikenesedude.

06/01/09 10:02 AM

lunarflash posted:
I see no mention of:

Okami

Zone of the enders (1 & 2)

Devil May Cry (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Does anyone know of games that need to be played but are rare?

Like I mentioned above except Devil May Cry of course.

personally, i think that Shadowhearts: Covenant on the PS2 was completely awesome on every level, but i dont know that id call it rare.

it was the second in the series. the first was completely forgotten because FFX came out about a week after it was released.

06/01/09 11:46 AM

Super Metroid on the SNES, the original Resident Evil remade for the gamecube, Shadow Of The Colossus, CSS for online FPS?, Most of the stuff I'd reccommend is there like Killer 7, command and conquer series for RTS?, Abe Oddworld Odyssey on the original Playstation?, Tenchu (the first one) for stealth?, Conkers Bad Fur Day for the N64 also deserves a big fucking shout out for its first balls out humour. I think that is all...

05/19/10 8:07 PM

these 3 you must:

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy
Final Fantasy 7
Soul Reaver 2

and honorable mention:

Killer 7
Dead Space

Zone of the Enders was cool, not a need to play though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2010 08:11PM by ChaseNine.

05/20/10 4:54 AM

In no order, PC only. Sorry for many alternate choices and not including RPGs and simulators (so not to start a war)

American McGee's Alice
Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City or GTA IV
Half-Life 1/2 (who am i fooling, go for the full franchise)
Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time
Quake 2/4 (parts of one story)
Test Drive Unlimited or Race Driver: GRID
Thief: Deadly Shadows or Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Tomb Raider (Legend or Anniversary)
Warcraft 3 or StarCraft

P. S.
DOOM 1/2 using a modern source port like Zdoom or games inspired by DOOM: Serious Sam, Painkiller and Doom3

05/20/10 7:57 AM

1) Super Metroid. Amazing game.
2) Super Mario World. Trippy and addictive.
3) Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii, easily the best FPS(es?) I've ever played and yes that includes halo.
4) Resident Evil 4. Amazing, definitely worth like 10 replays, it's that good.
5) No More Heroes. Great gameplay, and the characters are hilarious.
6) MadWorld. Most violent motherfucking thing I've ever seen.
7) Pokemon Yellow, just 'cuz.
8) Halo ODST, I don't particularly like most Halo campaigns but this one was great. Played thru the whole thing in one night at my friend's house, then on to multiplayer, which was obviously great.
9) The original Resident Evil (REmake on gamecube). So many awesome scares.
10) gears of war, clearly derivitive of Resi 4 but amazing nonetheless.

10/10/11 3:10 PM

1. Soul Reaver
2. Oblivion
3. Fable: The Lost Chapters
4. Bioshock
5. The Darkness
7. Kind's Field IV
8. Ultimate Doom
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
10. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

11/06/11 2:08 PM

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Tetris
Donkey Kong Country
Rayman
Super Mario Sunshine
Any Mario Kart
Any Super Smash Bros.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Pong
Kirby Block Ball

11/07/11 6:30 PM

Surprised they picked Sonic 2 for its flow. There are a lot of awkward progressions, abrupt momentum killers and speed traps in that one. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is immensely better in that and every other regard, in my opinion.

Also, the rather significant genre of multiplayer shooters is in absentia on that list. I nominate Quake 3 for balance purity and Unreal Tournament 2004 for gameplay variety and overall package. Honourable mention to Left 4 Dead for perfecting the co-op dynamic.

11/08/11 2:04 AM

ONLY TEN?!!

11/08/11 8:37 PM

1. Deus Ex - Probably my favorite game of all time...

2. Diablo II - ...except for maybe this one.

3. Half-Life - Half-Life 2 is prettier, but this one, I think, is better all-around. This game revolutionized FPS and launched Valve into the stratosphere.

4. Fallout - The original Post Apocalyptic Role Playing Game. Accept no substitutes.

5. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn - DnD realized, in all its potential, on the PC.

6. Starcraft II - Due to overall similarity, you can probably skip the first game and get a similar experience from the second. Either way, Starcraft is easily the best RTS franchise ever developed.

7. Dungeon Keeper 2 - Due to compatibility issues, you'll probably never be able to play this game. It was great, though. Trust me.

8. Jagged Alliance 2 - Turn-based combat ftw. Hire a team of mercenaries, outfit them, and turn them loose on a banana republic. What's not to like?

9. Thief II: The Metal Age - FPS, but instead of "shooting" the "s" stands for "stealth"... or "stealing". The whole series is good, but the second game is probably the best.

10. No One Lives Forever - Monolith's big contribution to FPS. Great engine, great gameplay, great Austin Powers-esque concept. The game is flawless, even by today's standards.

11/14/11 1:41 PM

Time to add Skyrim to the list..................................

11/14/11 10:43 PM

All but a couple of these games have already been mentioned, but just for well-roundedness...

* Mass Effect 2
Fell in love with the game hands down - voice acting, visual design, storyline, even the third-person action. Haven't played the first yet.

* Half-Life
Creative gaming at its finest. Already played it? Try Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Epicness in a first-person shooter format.

* Unreal Tournament
Multiplayer adrenaline.

* Dungeons and Dragons: Pool of Radiance
The Gold Box. D&D is often adapted, but not with the same feel. If you play it and find that you feel modern D&D games like Baldur's Gate beat it, I'll give you a free game token and you can play Fallout instead as it also belongs in this RPG slot.

* Super Mario Bros. OR Sonic The Hedgehog
Pick your side-scroller, chunky or smooth.

* TIE Fighter / X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
Even though I've only played X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, which is notable for its multiplayer, I've heard tell that the earlier title, TIE Fighter, has earned its own crown.

* Diablo / Diablo II
Really in a class of its own.

* Lemmings OR The Incredible Machine OR Oxyd!
To make you think.

* StarCraft II OR SimCity 2000
War or peace?

* Mortal Kombat / Mortal Kombat II
...just because it has to be played before you die. No pun intended.

11/18/11 2:28 PM

I feel like I should at least play (And by play, I mean beat.) every single Final Fantasy game that ever came out before Final Fantasy VII. I would like to be able to live and say that I did just that while meaning it.

As for 4 more games, perhaps all three Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games before Turtles in Time (IV) plus the original Super Mario Bros. 2. (Not the SNES "All-Stars" version.)

I wish it was more than 10 though, because I would've loved to throw in a huge chunk of Mega Man X games in the list too.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 02:36PM by SalavanteK.

11/19/11 9:00 AM

odd question

if im gonna stay true to the thread starters question i guess i should make different suggestions for experienced gamers and novices

for someone into gaming i would say Final Fantasy XII & Metal Gear Solid 4 and from an older era Donkey Kong Country 2, the most "complete" games i've ever played

for someone new into gaming: Half Life 2, WarCraft 3, Resident Evil 2 and the first Sonic !

03/16/12 12:14 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics: when people think original PlayStation, they usually think Final Fantasy VII (and yes it was awesome), but I’ve always thought square’s true masterpiece on that system was Final Fantasy Tactics. (PS)

Silent Hill 2: every gamer should be required to play at least one Silent Hill game, and if your going to play only one Silent Hill game it needs to be Silent Hill 2. (PS2 or XBOX)

Star Trek Armada: do you like Star Trek, do you like video games, do you like armadas of space ships, space stations, and super weapons, all battling each other? If you answer with a thunderous YES, then you’ll love Star Trek Armada. (PC)

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: a better story twist than any M. Night Shyamalan movie. A much better Star Wars entry than the 3 most recent Star Wars movies (I‘m looking at you George Lucas). (XBOX)

ICO: This one is near and dear to my heart. Every time I play it, it feels fresh and new. Plus I think Flavor Flav got his Viking hat inspiration from this game. (PS2)

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u493/james_sunderland_80/x-men_arcade_cabinet.jpg
The early evolution of multiplayer. From an age when one had to pay for his gaming fix 25 cents at a time. As kids we pumped so many quarters into one of these X Men arcade machines, that we probably could have bought the thing several times over. It was just plain fun. (Arcade)

Tetris: If you were a kid in the late 80’s early 90’s and you had a Game Boy, then you remember this little gem, in fact this is the only Game Boy game that I remember. (Nintendo Game Boy)

Halo 2: Halo games I hate in all of their incarnations (and I can‘t stress that enough). I always found them to be grossly over hyped and underwhelming games. But hey, the rest of the world fell in love with it, and it is now a multi-billion dollar franchise, so what do I know? Go play Halo and form your own opinion (but it‘s still shit). (XBOX)

Resident Evil 4: the scariest thing about this game was just how perfect it felt. (Nintendo GameCube)

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u493/james_sunderland_80/Pitfall.jpg
In more modern times we have games like Tomb Raider and Uncharted. I’d like to think these kind of games are in spirit the descendants of this ageing treasure. (Atari 2600)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2012 12:20PM by armchair_handjob.

03/16/12 12:35 PM

armchair_handjob posted:
Halo 2: Halo games I hate in all of their incarnations (and I can‘t stress that enough). I always found them to be grossly over hyped and underwhelming games. But hey, the rest of the world fell in love with it, and it is now a multi-billion dollar franchise, so what do I know? Go play Halo and form your own opinion (but it‘s still shit). (XBOX)

yep it a very mediocre franchise, why did it succeed ? there is not a single gaming website or magazine that hasn't praised the series like its the jesus christ of gaming

its the super mario of the xbox and when was the last time you read ANYTHING negative about the xbox ?!

03/16/12 12:51 PM

^ When HALO came out it's competition was Golden-eye/Perfect Dark. Whatever it lacked in custom settings(in which Perfect Dark was decades ahead), it made up for in superior graphics and smooth frame-rate. I still enjoy Perfect Dark more, but HALO looked smooth as glass when it came out.

My short list of must plays:

Chrono Trigger.

X-WIng/Tie Figher.
SO badass, and yet so impossible get working on a windows 7 machine.

Final Fantasy II and III
(US numbering on SNES)

SimCity

Call of Dookie

03/23/12 8:31 PM

MWF3... haven't even seen it yet.

03/24/12 11:15 PM

BloodType89 posted:
MWF3... haven't even seen it yet.

As great as this ORIGINAL was....I really don't see the hype about these games. I own both one and two and although I both think they were fun, if you showed me a screenshot of either 1, 2, or 3...I could't tell you which one it came from.

TRUE STORY!!!

06/28/12 12:44 AM

Halo - all titles
God of War - trilogy
Assassin's Creed - entire saga
Resident Evil series - need recommendation
Silent Hill - first title, maybe 2nd one too.
Gears of war -any
Batman - latest title
Star wars - latest title
Bioshock - entire series
Mirror's Edge

09/12/12 7:23 AM

IMO, you havent played an RPG until you played Morrowind, truly a unique world, Ive played many RPG type games over the years and that one still has an imprint on my mind.

anyways id say

Halo games

Half Life 1+2

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Skyrim

Diablo series

Starcraft series

Rome Total war

Metal Gear series

Fallout3/New Vegas

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Star Wars Knights of the old Republic

01/11/13 2:39 PM

Half Life 2

Morrowind

Amnesia: The Dark Decent (best horror game!)

Super Mario Bros 2 (orginal)

Legend of Zelda

Halo: combat evolved

Red Dead Redemption

Spyro: The Dragon

Goldeneye 007 (orginal)

Doom3

01/20/13 7:24 AM

mmmm alota good games well ive played alot of games over the years too well um my list would be

1. Wolfenstine 3d i know doom was bigger and all but this was foundations for FPS and yeah was quiet additive too

2. Scerect Of Mana Snes was one of the 1st RPG i ever played and made by Sqaure and the game was losley based on the old king and knight styles movies were the hero takes the sword from the stone and saves the day but theres a few twists and turns in the game and the best part was you could have up to 2 other people play the game with you in the game

3. Goldeneye 007 N64 this game helped redifine the FPS sceen and with out it we wouldnt have half life, COD, battlefiled, and the other spy/stealth games nd lets not foget the slipt screen multi player and the Attion to deatil for its day wae awesome too and if you play the game watch the movie its allmost like the man him self

4. Need For Speed most of the games. now the NFS game have been around for a while some good and some bad but hey they had some awesome one like Hot Pursit, High Stakes, Underground 2 Most Wanted (the ogranial ) and Shift 2 just name a few smiling smiley

5. Deus Ex Human Revaloution sorry i haven had an oppantunity to play the organial but yeah what a game i hope when they make an movie about this they dont screw it up but yeah i loved this game and the choices you could make and how it would affect the game smiling smiley

6. Mario 64. everyone should try this game a lest once just some much too do and disover and just have fun with

7. GTA Vice City. come one ever wanted to live in the 80's with all thoes gangstar and action movies/tv shows like Scareface, Maiami Vice, A team and with one of the best soundtracks for a game

8. Resident Evil. this help define the action/horror grenre and kept you gessing and made you think how to open a door without comming zombie dinner lol

9. Diablo 1 and 2 i havent played 3 my pc is too old for it sad smiley

10. Populus, cause it gave as games like starcarft, commander/conquer, red alert

02/16/13 2:50 AM

1 Final Fantasy VII - Or any 90's RPG (role-playing game) that carries this same magnitude. FIRST: (Yeah, get off me you super-nerds and stop yelling at me for jumping on the bandwagon of this being the best game ever. It's amazing, but not because everyone else said so) Now, focus. FFVII took my attention in the first moments of the game. You realize your a character in a city that is rather large, with lots of side characters and small missions to go on, people to meet, places to see. You grow to love this place, and the story divulges some incredibly large amounts of info, and before you know it, you're leaving the city and open to a whole planet, full of cities like this one. Each character and choice feels real, feels like you're affecting them, and you open up a storybook bigger than you ever thought possible at the opening credits. Needless to say, this game had me laughing, and nearly crying at moments. The visuals stood out for its time... it was simply an amazing game for it's day. Because games like this are graphically rusted for our times, I still highly recommend any Final Fantasy and/or RPG game equivalent to affect anyone's game experience in the RIGHT direction.

2 Mass Effect - Now here's a game (also a role-play game) that simply has the very best (hands down very best) choice-making / choice-effecting systems, of any game. You directly choose what to say in conversations, in battles, in missions... and you severely impact the characters and storyline in doing so. And, not only that, but you're in space. SCIENCE FICTION, YAYYYY!

3 Starcraft (THE ORIGINAL) A gem, and, hands down, the best real-time strategy game out there. The storyline, albeit cliche', had many extremely intense and gratifying moments.

4 God of War (series) One of the greatest hack-n-slash games of all time, with by far the best Greek Mythological storyline / plot ever!

5 Mortal Kombat, or Tekken. (any game in either series) The only two fighting games I've ever enjoyed & could go back to.

6 Gran Turismo (series) Best driving simulator ever.

7 Halo: Combat Evolved (NOT the other Halo games... CE is the only 'best' one) - best first-person shooter (That has actual strategy) ever.

8 Spyro the Dragon - (the PlayStation titles) - my favorite platformer game to-date.

9 Deus Ex: The Conspiracy, or Deus Ex: Human Revolution - This is the best first-person shooter game that has choice-making / choice-effecting powers... so a lot like Mass Effect, but the difference in this game, is you seem to have even more options for carrying out any one task. Extremely gratifying.

10 Legacy of Kain games (Probably Defiance, if I HAD to pick one, though Soul Reaver 2 is my favorite) These games have the best dialogue out of any of my favorite games. They're fantasy games, and have some of the coolest storyline / dialogue, ever.

03/09/13 8:01 AM

1. Baldur's Gate II: Most engaging and well written RPG I've played up until this day.

2. Dota 2: Was a close call for me but since it has no single player experience I put it on second place. Easily the best multiplayer game of all times.

3. The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time: Still haven't finished it but it's the pinnacle of 3d action adventure games.

4. Resident Evil: The game that shaped a whole genre of cheesy dialogue and horror.

5. Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines: I'm short on words here. Amazing but buggy as fuck but since the modding community for this game is still active, it's quite enjoyable and almost bug free with the unofficial patch installed.

6. Metal Gear Solid - Snake Eater: Even better than the first game in the Playstation era of this series.

7. Super Mario Bros. 3: After all those years still one of the best platformers out there.

8. Diablo 2/Path of Exile: I still think Diablo 2 is by far the better game of the 2 but it's interface and graphics are so outdated I had to put PoE up there since it's almost the same just with a fresh look on it.

9. GTA 3: Picked this one since it revolutionized how the game plays and looks today.

10. Secret of Mana: Multiplayer JRPG? Fuck Yeah!

03/09/13 10:32 PM

Wow, really hard to just pick 10. I tried to pick 10 games that really speak for the generations. Great gameplay, stories, treadsetters, etc. (unlike people picking whole game franchises or naming honorable mentions. Cheaters!)

(in order of generations.)

1. Legend of Zelda
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Doom
4. Resident Evil
5. Final Fantasy VII
6. Silent Hill 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
8. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
9. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
10. Journey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2013 10:37PM by NineInchUndertow.

nin forums : Gaming & Technology : 10 Games you must play befo...
Page: <  1 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy