My Waldorf Blofeld synth arrived.

03/05/10 5:32 PM

Two months ago I made a thread about digital hardware synths versus soft synth vs analog. [forum.nin.com]

Initially I believed digital hardware synths are garbage, but now I see that these synths can have their own unique character, analog or not.

I played around with the Blofeld for about an hour. If I was to describe the overall tone, I would say it's an "aggressive screamer". It's capable of warm tones, but few of the stock presents sound that way. Also, compared to most soft synths I've tried, it has a huge dynamic range. A lot of the presets go from whisper quiet to full on. It's a little annoying actually. When I'm recording, I'll definitely be making liberal use of compression/limiting.

The stereo field doesn't sound very wide either. I'm definitely going to start building up my own bank of presets, since the stock presets sound a little half baked.

What I do like, however, is how you never really hear the same thing twice when you're playing. The wavetables kinda shift over time or something. I don't fully understand if that's what's going on.

Vessel cover using Blofeld

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 04:29AM by brickisred.

03/06/10 3:08 AM

I'm requesting a video review/demo once you two become more acquainted.

03/07/10 3:59 AM

bononcinid posted:
I'm requesting a video review/demo once you two become more acquainted.

If I get one of those YouTube HD cams I'll try.

Update: I toyed with making a preset from scratch. The problem is, I'm used to soft synths and having all settings conveniently laid out infront of me. If you want to quickly make a small adjust to the LFO or something, it takes a bit of fiddling with buttons and dials.

Right now, I'm looking around for a VST editor I can use with my Mac. This one's nice, but it's PC only. [matrixsynth.blogspot.com]

03/08/10 1:38 PM

I've had one of these for a while now, and yea, making your own patches is definitely a pain. Thanks for posting the link to the editor, shame it's not working on OSX for you.

03/08/10 4:40 PM

fixate posted:
I've had one of these for a while now, and yea, making your own patches is definitely a pain. Thanks for posting the link to the editor, shame it's not working on OSX for you.

I've tried several editors. Most are garbage. This MatrixSynth one seems like the only good one, except I haven't got it working on my Windows machine yet.

Another annoying bug is that when you have the USB cable plugged in, there's a weird high pitch hum. So I'm using a regular MIDI cable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 04:42PM by brickisred.

03/09/10 9:34 AM

brickisred posted:
Another annoying bug is that when you have the USB cable plugged in, there's a weird high pitch hum. So I'm using a regular MIDI cable.

You can try a shielded USB-Cable. That's how I solved the problem with my Xio.

Besides to that *1up* for a review-video smiling smiley

03/09/10 6:49 PM

mpain6cd posted:
brickisred posted:

You can try a shielded USB-Cable. That's how I solved the problem with my Xio.

Besides to that *1up* for a review-video smiling smiley

Hm, I'll try get my hands on one.

Today I tried a lot to solve it. By the end I got so stressed I wanted to exchange for a Dave Smith Mopho/Evolver, except returns are a pain in the ass. Besides the USB hum and some minor bugs, the Blofeld is basically the best synth in its price range. I've heard from even Virus TI users that the screen and interface are much nicer.

03/10/10 12:14 AM

This guy's editor works pretty well for my Xio, he also has a Blofeld editor [jemap.ifrance.com]

03/10/10 10:10 AM

Chalkmaze posted:
This guy's editor works pretty well for my Xio, he also has a Blofeld editor [jemap.ifrance.com]

I tried that, but couldn't figure it out. It said something about overwriting presets, and I thought "better not touch that". I might give it another go.

nin forums : Audio Gear and Software : My Waldorf Blofeld synth ar...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy