I got a Dave Smith Mopho (vs Blofeld)

04/16/10 5:10 PM

This is my second hardware synth, the first being a Waldorf Blofeld. I like my Blofeld, but you really need at least one analog synth in your arsenal.

So, apparently the Mopho is just one "voice" of the Prophet '08. It definitely sounds like it. A quick flip through the presets when I turned it on for the first time, I was surprised by how phat the sound really is. Dave himself said the Mopho, in some ways, sounds better than the Prophet, in that it has two sub-oscillators to reinforce the main oscillator signals. It has a feedback circuit built-in for instant overdriven/random sounds.

What I really like is how quickly you can get a really good sound going, compared to the fidgety Blofeld. Seconds after turning it on, I hit the "Push It" button which started playing a nice sequence, then started morphing the sound into something unique with the eight dials (no menus).

The free software editor is damn good too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 05:12PM by brickisred.

04/24/10 1:31 PM

I myself just picked up a Tetra. It's a pretty ballsy little synth and the Mopho patches are amazing. I am most definitely picking up the keys version of the Mopho when it comes out. Very awesome...

04/24/10 3:31 PM

Junior_Painkiller posted:
I myself just picked up a Tetra. It's a pretty ballsy little synth and the Mopho patches are amazing. I am most definitely picking up the keys version of the Mopho when it comes out. Very awesome...

Yeah, the keys version is sexy. But adding keys seems to drive up the price, so I just use my MIDI controllers and buy the modules.

04/25/10 2:13 AM

I agree completely. I just know that editing the Tetra through the software editor blows sometimes and is near impossible with the unit itself. For the Mopho board version, at $800 it's still roughly 500 cheaper than the Phatty. Regardless, they're both still an amazing bargain.

04/25/10 2:14 AM

Dave is the man!

05/06/10 10:26 AM

Hey brickisred. I, too, own a Blofeld. I'm selling off a bunch of stuff and am planning to use the money to get a Mopho. Besides the obvious difference in synthesis, would you say it's worth it owning both? Are they different enough in sound to warrant it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2010 09:26AM by fixate.

05/06/10 10:32 AM

fixate posted:
Hey brickisred. I, too, own a Blofeld. I'm selling off a bunch of stuff and am planning to use the money to get a Mopho. Besides the obvious difference in synthesis, would you say it's worth it owning both? Are they different enough in sound to warrant it?

They are completely different. Night and day. The Mopho is a simple, great sounding analog synth, with a slight lack of programmability. You can dial in the kind of analog 80s lead/bass/drum glitch you want, but you won't be creating any other-worldly sounds with it. At least, not without the help of additional gear/plugins.

The Blofeld sounds cold, but there are endless possibilities to the sounds you can create. Well, you know because you own one. When I want a dirty fat analog sound, I use the Mopho. For most other things, I use the Blofeld.

The main difference for me is, the Mopho needs to be hooked up to a PC/Mac to get the most out of it. But the Blofeld does fine all on its own (plus a controller hooked up).

Bottom line is, yes, it's worth owning both, but if I had to choose one, I'd choose the Blofeld. smiling smiley

05/06/10 12:17 PM

brickisred posted:
When I want a dirty fat analog sound, I use the Mopho. For most other things, I use the Blofeld.

That sounds good to me. Thanks.

07/23/11 10:24 PM

Some work with linux and the Mopho keyboard. The drums were cut with audacity from the Mopho and sequenced with Hydrogen. The DSI Mopho keyboard was used with a Boss DS-2 Distortion petal. All was routed and recorded in Ardour.

[soundcloud.com]

Maybe some will like this who knows. Regardless you are listening to the DSI MOPHO in action.

07/23/11 11:13 PM

I just noticed this is an old thread lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 10:08AM by vvoid.

nin forums : Audio Gear and Software : I got a Dave Smith Mopho (v...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy