I want to record my own music. What is recommended?

06/11/09 4:44 PM

i'd like to know what i need to record my own music.

What is the difference between softwear recorders and Multitrack Recorders?

06/11/09 8:35 PM

well softwear recorders would run on your computer and record the sound/song etc onto the computers harddrive a multitrack recorder is a separate peice of hard wear which has its own harddrive to record the sound.basicly lol.if your just starting out i'd say use softwear theres plenty of programs out today that has everything you need to record and produce your own music reason cubase ableton just to name a few.i surpose its down to what do you want to do we could be here alday to be honest lol smiling smiley

06/11/09 9:55 PM

I know people are going to contradict me on this but I have tried almost every DAW out there and nothing competes at all with logic. Its simple to use and also has lots of room for growth and expansion. Yes, logic studio is like 600 dollars. But trust me, you will save money if you just go for logic and not work your way up blowing money on cheaper DAWs. But if your not really serious about recording then go with something like reaper (which is free) and test the waters out. Just DO NOT buy stuff like FL studio or Cubase. They are good programs but only cover the beginner to low intermediate user. Logic can be used by beginners all the way up to Pro.

06/12/09 4:52 AM

asio posted:
well softwear recorders would run on your computer and record the sound/song etc onto the computers harddrive a multitrack recorder is a separate peice of hard wear which has its own harddrive to record the sound.basicly lol.if your just starting out i'd say use softwear theres plenty of programs out today that has everything you need to record and produce your own music reason cubase ableton just to name a few.i surpose its down to what do you want to do we could be here alday to be honest lol smiling smiley

Posts like this make me wanna stick my head up my own ass.
The message given isn't wrong, but it's all covered up in jelly bean rubbish.

His original question doesn't sound as if his biggest problem was the choice between software recording or a multitrack recorder.
Some people prefer old tape machines because of their (alleged) vintage and analog character, but nowadays even most of them transfer their material afterwards to a digital audio workstation (daw).

Now if you buy a daw, you still will need an appropiate audio interface.
It depends on whether you're going to record a whole band, if you need 10 LineIns and so on.
Microphones etc. not to mention.

All these are things you need to think about before starting to buy software.
Buy cheap, buy twice. You just need to have an idea of what you need, and what you're going to do with it.

06/13/09 2:52 AM

bononcinid posted:
I know people are going to contradict me on this but I have tried almost every DAW out there and nothing competes at all with logic. Its simple to use and also has lots of room for growth and expansion. Yes, logic studio is like 600 dollars. But trust me, you will save money if you just go for logic and not work your way up blowing money on cheaper DAWs. But if your not really serious about recording then go with something like reaper (which is free) and test the waters out. Just DO NOT buy stuff like FL studio or Cubase. They are good programs but only cover the beginner to low intermediate user. Logic can be used by beginners all the way up to Pro.
i have to disagree about the cubase remark..
for instance...just about anybody who's familiar with the more professional nin remix artists knows of tweakerray...and he will preach cubase all day long..
which he used to record and produce atari teenage riot too.
and cubase is sentimental to me too cause that was the first daw i learned how to use.
but fell in love with pro tools later on..
i'm a firm believer that if you're looking to make cd quality music..cubase, pro tools, or logic...can be used for high end production music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 02:54AM by LobotomyBaby.

06/13/09 12:30 PM

vs posted:
i'd like to know what i need to record my own music.

What is the difference between softwear recorders and Multitrack Recorders?

First of all...

DAW= Digital Audio Workstation (in case you didn't know smiling smiley)

Second:
It dependes on how much money you want to spend. You should use software on your computer... There are some softs you can use for free (i mean,if you're not into ilegal soft, of course). But, again, it depends on your budget lol.

What do you have in mind?

06/14/09 1:39 AM

First off, if you read nothing else from what I believe to be the best answer you could have been give, check the bolded part of my response because it seems people are delusional about how much money you should pay to do music.

"What is the difference between softwear recorders and Multitrack Recorders?"

No one has answered your question appropriately, because most people are geeks in the circus freak meaning of the word.

The difference is this:

Both are capable of the same thing, but a software recorder will inevitably cost you more money and give you more of a headache than a hardware multitracker because there are far more obsticles that you'll run into.

With a software tracker, you've got to worry about compatbility, OS, input lag, etc. Lets not even get into the shitacular fact that almost ALL new recording interfaces for PC and Mac are external USB devices, so if you're buying new products (i.e. will work with all the latest gizmos and gadgets) then you're likely buying an inferior product compared to what was out on the market. The days of PCI cards with breakout boxes are over and they no longer give service to these devices, but they stomp USB devices at every turn.

A hardware recorder is right out of the box. They work fine, no issues, and will last you years if you don't go slamming it about.

After a decade of sizing up the two different approaches, I can say hands down that a hardware multi-tracker coupled with a decent PC or Mac audio setup is your most affordable and efficient way of going about recording music. That is, until you make enough money and have enough experience to run a full fledged actual STUDIO (which you weren't asking about I'm sure).

For a decently priced and fully featured multitracker, I suggest the KORG D888. It'll run you $600 USD, but if you care about sound quality, stability and run to grow from single player multitracks into full band recording sessions and production then this is the product for you. I've done a lot of looking lately, eyeing what's best, and this product for its price is brilliant.

For the software you'll want to use for when its time to get into the bits and pieces of your song on a PC:

First off, you DO NOT need an audio interface if you already have the multitracker as it runs through USB.

Therefore, I suggest FL Studio for sequencing and modeling of sounds (unless you want to pretend you're getting somewhere by going through 20 steps that you don't really have to do, as per Logic or Reason). As an audio recording device, no, FL isn't great and I'll concede that (which is why I use Adobe Audition in conjunction). But as the next step, as something to run VSTs in, YES. All the way, hands down better than anything else on the market and I've used just about all of it extensively (except Pro Tools).

Whatever you get as far as software goes, just remember:

90% of us are just pirating the software from Pirate Bay anyway. Seriously.

Price tag does not matter right now. The internet is your oyster.

Full Native Instruments packages, all the top DAW's, all VST's and VSTi's you could ever want. Pirated. Even the people that don't admit to it. Pirated!

Buy it if you make an album you can stomach in a year. That's the true test of the product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2009 01:40AM by josiegallows.

06/14/09 7:54 AM

06/16/09 4:49 PM

josiegallows posted:

Full Native Instruments packages, all the top DAW's, all VST's and VSTi's you could ever want. Pirated. Even the people that don't admit to it. Pirated!

Buy it if you make an album you can stomach in a year. That's the true test of the product.

I couldn't agree more

06/18/09 7:46 PM

Eze posted:
josiegallows posted:

I couldn't agree more

i bought my software legally...

06/25/09 7:32 AM

*puts Mod Hat on*

Folks? While using software that's been ...er.. 'nicked' from places like Pirate Bay, for legal reasons, etc please don't post up any links. Yes, I know stuff like that is a fact of life, but...

Ya know what I mean!!

winking smiley

*takes Mod Hat off*

06/26/09 6:49 AM

bononcinid posted:

Hi ! As LobotomyBaby said: I am working with Cubase at Home. And I wouldnt say that you shouldnt buy that, because its a cool Programm. I don't geek about Logic Audio Vs. Cubase... Because they are both cool programms I have worked with...
I also work with Protools on MAC at work...

I produced the "Future Noir" Album on Logic Audio (PC-Version) because I was working on PC (And still am producing at Home on PC). I simply changed to Cubase, because Logic Audio wasn't supported anymore later at PC and I didn't want to buy a Mac... so
I changed to Cubase. I can't understand why you say you shouldnt buy it.
It covers the same things as logic... Both Programms have advantages. So its just
Taste or the system you use that deceides what you use...

Never the less I bought my software legally, because i grew with each piece of Software. And I wouldnt be proud of my Music if I use pirated Software. There is a lot of cool Freeware Stuff (More for PC Users than Mac Users, buts thats another point)
Just for the people who start to make remixes... I've made my first remixes with Magix Musicmaker... check out this: Depeche Mode ReMix made with Magix Musicmaker

I also worked with a Harddiskrecorder (Which i still use as some kind of Soundinterface and mixer: the Roland vs-1680. Which is super and never crashed...

To Answer your Question VS:

It all depends on what music you make and what money you would like to spent.
If you like to record your music (And its mostly live instruments like A complete Band : Live Drumset, Bass, Guitar, Vocals)
you could use a Harddiskrecorder (Like the Roland VS-2480,VS-1680, or VS-880)
There are a lot of other Brands that make cool Harddiskrecorders.
You don't have good possibilitys to edit your music on Harddiskrecorders, if they are too small... so at least something like the VS-1680 should work best if you want to edit after recording...

If you want to produce your songs, I would reccomand a software and a good computer.
There its taste and the level of experience which programm you like and the computersystem wich you use...

Professional Audiosoftware with Sequencing: Protools (Very Expensive. Small version: Pro-Tools M-powered like the M-Box)

Professional Sequencers with Audioediting: Logic Audio or Cubase (Logic for MAC / Cubase for MAC and also PC)

Also you could check Reason / Ableton Live

Beginners: Magix Musicmaker or Freeware (Check: www.dontcrack.com)

For beginners i would say some small programm like Magix Musicmaker would work...
or a small Cubase LE...

Most USB-Interfaces you buy have Small Versions which you later can expand to bigger versions.

What Music do you want to make ? Professionally ? or just hobby ? How much money do you want to spent ? That will make your choice more easy...

Hope that helped a little...

Greets TweakerRay

06/26/09 6:56 AM

Th3R3dFly posted:
Eze posted:
josiegallows posted:

I couldn't agree more

I bought all my software ... and don't use any pirated software, because
I wouldnt be proud of my music. Just watch all people who uses pirated software...
is there music good ? Nowadays all call themselve "Producer".
The Real Producer know his gear, and that can be only done if you grow with your software... otherwise your just like a kid in a candystore which can eat all sugar for free... you will lose focus also if you have everything...(Pirated)
And I just can say that Pirated Software mostly crashes or mess up your system.
Don't forgett all trojans and viruses you would get also FOR FREE with that...
I would't dare to use pirated software for all this reasons, but the most important thing is:

IF a software is GOOD and I use it, then I buy it. To support the guys who programm it.
So they can make more and better cool software. To say the Guys from NATIVE INSTRUMENTS do an extreme good job, so I bought it.

Cool freeware can be found also... you don't need to always have all expensive software. There are 1000 of cool Freeware effects and Instruments.

check www.dontcrack.com or www.kvraudio.com

Greets TweakerRay

06/26/09 4:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

06/27/09 3:14 AM

TweakerRay posted:
Th3R3dFly posted:
Eze posted:
josiegallows posted:

I couldn't agree more

I bought all my software ... and don't use any pirated software, because
I wouldnt be proud of my music. Just watch all people who uses pirated software...
is there music good ? Nowadays all call themselve "Producer".
The Real Producer know his gear, and that can be only done if you grow with your software... otherwise your just like a kid in a candystore which can eat all sugar for free... you will lose focus also if you have everything...(Pirated)
And I just can say that Pirated Software mostly crashes or mess up your system.
Don't forgett all trojans and viruses you would get also FOR FREE with that...
I would't dare to use pirated software for all this reasons, but the most important thing is:

IF a software is GOOD and I use it, then I buy it. To support the guys who programm it.
So they can make more and better cool software. To say the Guys from NATIVE INSTRUMENTS do an extreme good job, so I bought it.

Cool freeware can be found also... you don't need to always have all expensive software. There are 1000 of cool Freeware effects and Instruments.

check www.dontcrack.com or www.kvraudio.com

Greets TweakerRay

Love your mixes, really good stuff.

06/27/09 7:31 AM

DaveG posted:
Love your mixes, really good stuff.

Thanks a lot ! ;-D Nice to hear...

Greets TweakerRay

nin forums : Audio Gear and Software : I want to record my own mus...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy