AVOTT 2010.02.25 Chicago, IL [Metro]

Page:  1 2 3 >

01/18/10 6:38 PM

Official/Confirmed Screening of This One Is On Us - Another Version of the Truth: The Gift

When: Thursday, February 25th, doors open at 8pm, show at 9pm, DJ sets by Dark Wave Disco until 1am, all in the main venue, 18 and older.

Where: Chicago, IL - Metro.

TICKETS ARE NOT NECESSARY TO ATTEND.

Google map.

Join the Facebook event.

Join the yelp event.

More information will be up soon in regards to the possibility of a charity donation occurring.

Discuss the event in this thread (meet ups, planning, further information etc. etc.).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 07:54AM by SwimFin.

01/18/10 7:20 PM

It was mentioned in the screenings thread that people would be interested in including fundraising for a charity at screenings, so I asked the people at Metro and they like the idea. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? A raffle for some donated nin items, perhaps? Would there be anyone willing to donate some items? And do you have any suggestions for a charitable organization?

01/18/10 9:07 PM

I have a suggestion if anyone's interested in donating to Haiti earthquake relief- Eastern Illinois University has a group called Haiti Connection.
The mission outreach of the Newman Community, the Haiti Connection is committed to raising awareness and funds to eliminate injustices that impact the people of the third world. Their direct mission is to communities in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. They sponsor two immersion/mission trips a year.
They have built relationships directly with the people in Haiti and are currently collecting funds that go for earthquake relief. You can find out more information about them here and here and here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 09:10PM by canisXcore.

01/18/10 10:40 PM

SwimFin, I and others are going to be working very hard to promote. SwimFin, it's been awesome talking with you. Guys, obviously no promises here, but we are trying to get something autographed for charity. We understand if this doesn't happen, but are excited it is a possibility. In the meantime, we will be sending out some emails on the event, and look for a Facebook event page in the very near future. We are VERY excited!

01/19/10 6:03 AM

Hello everyone, I have set up a page you can go to if you would like to receive email updates on the Chicago show. To get on the list for email updates on details for the show that the Chicago meetup team will be sending, please click here:

http://windytech.wufoo.com/forms/22510-avott-chicago-screening-email-updates/

01/19/10 10:12 AM

I am in the early stages of organizing a showing in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA. The plan is to have a free screening, asking for a donation to the relief effort in Haiti. There are some sticking points here. The area is very conservative (though NIN played here on the LITS tour). I have approached some places and hopefully will hear back this week. "Closer" may be a deal-breaker, but I can edit that out, if absolutely needed. sad smiley Getting a charitable originization to sign-on is also an issue. To prevent issues with the donations, my goal is to get a rep from the orginization to oversee the collection. I am expecting decent money, someone will send a volunteer for a couple of hours to snag the loot. smiling smiley I would like the Salvation Army as they are adept at on-site collections. The American Red Cross is another possibility. If no one signs on, we may just need to have a "quiet" donation afterward.
I am giving away copies on DVD to the first 25 arrivals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 10:18AM by roadwarrior.

01/19/10 11:06 AM

Giving away DVD copies is an AWESOME idea! What say you Mary?

01/19/10 12:59 PM

Sorry guys - had an issue with the email form. Please click again if it told you it was locked.

01/19/10 1:34 PM

windytech posted:
Giving away DVD copies is an AWESOME idea! What say you Mary?

That is a good idea! We probably would not be able to bring copies for everyone, so including them as part of a raffle would work.

I have also thought of asking the charity to have someone on-site for this event (I agree that it would be better for them to handle the money directly). I think most are in favor of a charity for Haiti, so if anyone has any other organizations besides those already mentioned here, let me know. We want to choose an organization rather quickly, so it can be included in the promotion. If you would also like to help organize this part of the event or if you have anything to donate for a raffle, please contact me (pm's or my email address is on my profile).

01/19/10 3:52 PM

Yes - having them onsite would take a LOT of responsibility out of our hands - good call.

We are talking with the Metro about selling VIP seats at the show for $25 each, which will include a drink ticket. ALL PROCEEDS from these sales will go to charity, so it's for a good cause!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 04:11PM by windytech.

01/19/10 7:30 PM

Donations to an organ donation charity would be appropriate given NIN's support on Eric De La Cruz's struggles. I'm researching worthy charities on the subject, will report back soon.

01/19/10 7:31 PM

BTW, who is responsible for organizing the Metro screening? I'm so thrilled!

01/19/10 9:37 PM

LadyP - SwimFin and I both contact the Metro on it. SwimFin is sealing things in, and I'm marketing. We are both doing much of the legwork. SwimFin friggin' RULES! SwimFin is also a moderator here on the forum.

BTW - VERY IMPORTANT. I encourage everyone to get on the email update list because we will be sending out some VIP details sometime in the the very near future, and those details will be in the email. Click HERE to get on the list:

01/20/10 5:56 AM

Suggestions on charities:

1) Gift of Hope, Organ and Tissue Donor Network. I have a contact here who may be able to be on site. This is a local event and I think a charity that serves the local community is appropriate. Even if people don't want to donate, they can at least sign up to be an organ donor on the spot.

[www.giftofhope.org]

2) American Red Cross. I may have a contact with the Chicago Red Cross as well.

Opinions?

01/20/10 10:16 AM

Gift of Hope sounds good - think they could have people at the event to help out and sign people up to be organ donors?

01/21/10 1:29 PM

A raffle is an interesting idea. I had thought more along the lines of a suggested donation at the door w a collection box. If you want to avoid handling money, ppl can text donate upon entry to a chosen organization.

Separate from the screening, I have also been thinking about personally burning dvds for distribution at cost (discs, shipping) plus some fixed donation amount to Haiti, or starting a pool of people willing to do such.

Burning some discs for either a raffle or a donation fee at the screening sounds feasible.

Charity Options:
[donate.doctorswithoutborders.org]
[www.chicagoredcross.org]
[www.clintonfoundation.org]
[www.stillerstrong.org]

01/21/10 3:08 PM

I'm pretty bummed I can't go because I'll be 18 in May. Seen NIN 9 times. *eye roll*

01/21/10 3:22 PM

More Charity Options:

CNN's exhaustive list.

ARCH- Animal Relief Coalition for Haiti
Member Organizations Include:
[www.wspa-usa.org]
[www.ifaw.org]
[www.americanhumane.org]
[www.aspca.org]
[news.bestfriends.org]
[www.uan.org]
[www.humanesociety.org]
[www.avmf.org]
[www.mayhewinternational.org]

Edit:
Source= [cats.about.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 03:37PM by BlueSpoon.

01/21/10 4:02 PM

This suggestion is Catholic affiliated. How about a secular organization that everyone can enjoy?

canisXcore posted:
I have a suggestion if anyone's interested in donating to Haiti earthquake relief- Eastern Illinois University has a group called Haiti Connection.
The mission outreach of the Newman Community, the Haiti Connection is committed to raising awareness and funds to eliminate injustices that impact the people of the third world. Their direct mission is to communities in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. They sponsor two immersion/mission trips a year.
They have built relationships directly with the people in Haiti and are currently collecting funds that go for earthquake relief. You can find out more information about them here and here and here

01/21/10 4:21 PM

she_shines92 posted:
I'm pretty bummed I can't go because I'll be 18 in May. Seen NIN 9 times. *eye roll*

Get a fake.

01/21/10 4:40 PM

Shitfuckdamn posted:
she_shines92 posted:

Get a fake.

If anyone's actually considering this: bad plan. I've heard it said that Metro accounts for a full third of fake IDs confiscated in Illinois-- whether that's an accurate number or not, you still shouldn't try it there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 04:41PM by Endlessly.

01/21/10 6:18 PM

Sorry about the 18+ restriction, it couldn't be avoided. sad smiley

The event is up on their website now (scroll down to Feb. 25th): [metrochicago.com]. It went out as part of their weekly mass emailing today (which I haven't found a way to link directly, but it was there).

They also have the link up for their VIP seating, for which they are donating all proceeds to the UNICEF Haiti Relief Fund: [www.etix.com]. This is table seating in the balcony and includes one drink and a copy of the DVD for a $25 donation.

We are still interested in doing a raffle, etc. and looking at different charities so keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!

01/22/10 6:54 AM

American Red Cross of Greater Chicago

Lupus Foundation of America- IL Chapter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 10:34AM by canisXcore.

01/22/10 10:25 AM

Hey everyone - I am pleased to announce that VIP tickets are now sold out! Thanks to all who bought them!

We are working to get more now :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 10:42AM by windytech.

01/23/10 7:57 AM

Can't wait for this....... Already working on an event for the Vegas Gift check it out here [forum.nin.com]

01/24/10 7:06 PM

^^I hope you are going to have the Lakeshore screening later in March; it wouldn't be good for either event if they are scheduled too close together.

01/24/10 9:33 PM

Yeah JConX - it would be good if you did it later in March or something - that way we aren't competing with eachother. We've worked very hard getting this show promoted and don't want everything to be moot for both groups.

01/29/10 8:02 AM

Thanks to Jason B, we now have a yelp event: [www.yelp.com].

There seems to be some confusion about the ticketing link on the Metro's website; the link was for the VIP seating with proceeds going to UNICEF, which are currently sold-out (more may be added later). But the event is free and you do not need tickets to attend. The venue's capacity is 1050 - let's see if we can fill it!

01/31/10 2:03 PM

Will there be any additional advertising aside from Metro's standard pr, Facebook, and Yelp?

01/31/10 2:13 PM

Yes, I am doing much of the advertising, but the Metro is putting together a press release, and they are also putting the event in their regular adverts. And, we are expecting that Metromix will pick up the event.

nin forums : LITS Tour Downloads and Fan Projects : AVOTT 2010.02.25 Chicago, I...
Page:  1 2 3 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy