Let the BS begin!!! The Aurora aftermath.

Page: <  1 2 3 4 >

07/25/12 5:22 PM

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/557087_406004966132248_745140164_n.jpg

07/25/12 6:11 PM

smllyjlly posted:
RhettButler posted:
smllyjlly posted:
^A gun doesn't whisper in your ear that you should kill. We should be asking why we are so willing to shoot others. I think gun control is a quick answer to a big problem. Though it will probably help I think we still need to get down to the root of the problem.

Without military-type, semi-automatic weapons, mass killings like this wouldn't happen. Unless someone is a police officer or works the night shift at a 7-11, I don't see why anyone needs even a handgun. Rifles for hunters, fine.

I don't think we need guns or anything but I really don't understand why more guns = more deaths. Why do we have to use it if it's there? Our lack of self control is depressing. I'm more bothered by the irrational fear that this whole thing will create.

It's pretty easy and lethal to use a gun. Of course violence will still occur and other social problems need to be addressed, but guns, especially semi-automatic, military-style ones, make killing very easy.

As to the 2nd amendment, I don't think that the founding fathers envisioned assault-type weapons. These were people who believed that a well-regulated militia could gather and use muskets to defend themselves. The whole thing with the 2nd amendment has been greatly distorted, IMHO, from what people had in mind 200+ years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 06:17PM by RhettButler.

07/25/12 8:36 PM

Vendetta11 posted:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/557087_406004966132248_745140164_n.jpg

YES! grinning smiley

07/26/12 12:22 AM

Ultimately, spree killings like this are the penultimate attention-seeking behavior. Little people living meaningless lives get their fifteen minutes after they stroll into a crowded place and smoke half a dozen total strangers.

If we want shit like this to stop we need to do two things:

1- Get the assault weapons ban back on the books. This will minimize the footprint of future spree killings.

2- Stop talking about this shit when it does actually happen. Aside from a passing blip on the ticker, the only people who really need concern themselves with these events are those who live in the communities directly affected by them. Mass media coverage merely enables the next would-be spree killer. As much as everyone loves to rubberneck, we are a huge part of the problem.

07/26/12 8:22 AM

Riktor posted:
we are a huge part of the problem.

And you just hit the nail on the head....

Take the Penn State clusterfuck for example- Who's to blame? Well, obviously a few in particular, but the rest of the masses are to blame as well. Why? Because we as a society enable this shitty behavior.

07/26/12 8:34 AM

Let's blame our fascination for violence too. If mass media speak of those spree killings, it's also because people want to hear of it. That explains also the popularity of very violent movies, very violent games, and also it explains why a lot of teenagers have watched the video online showing Luka Rocco Magnotta killing his victim, for an example. While we're horrified by those crimes, I'm pretty sure there's also a part in us who's thinking with admiration: "Wow, they did that!" After all, who haven't secretly wished to kill our neighbors, our colleagues, or Kim Kardashian, or whoever else? So, maybe we are all to blame, after all. We are all horrible human beings.

07/26/12 10:51 AM

Vendetta11 posted:

He looks a bit like Rob Schneider in those court photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 10:54AM by somerville1991.

07/26/12 11:53 AM

Riktor posted:
Ultimately, spree killings like this are the penultimate attention-seeking behavior. Little people living meaningless lives get their fifteen minutes after they stroll into a crowded place and smoke half a dozen total strangers.

If we want shit like this to stop we need to do two things:

1- Get the assault weapons ban back on the books. This will minimize the footprint of future spree killings.

2- Stop talking about this shit when it does actually happen. Aside from a passing blip on the ticker, the only people who really need concern themselves with these events are those who live in the communities directly affected by them. Mass media coverage merely enables the next would-be spree killer. As much as everyone loves to rubberneck, we are a huge part of the problem.

I don't think dialogue is a bad thing but it's how we talk about it that's damaging. I don't really have much to say about what actually happened. I started this thread more to discuss how we use moments like this to change things but not always in good ways. No one should use a tragedy to help push their own agenda. I've seen tons of crazy posters about gun control but very few have any mention of doing much more than banning assault weapons. Yes I agree that is a good idea but I'm always a little disappointed that we as a society don't put as much of an emphasis on personal growth and self control. That won't stop random nuts from killing the shit out of people but it can help minimize the damage that comes after something like this. I'm tired of watching things change out of fear. Especially when there are things killing us every day that no one even looks at. But it's not about improving life as much as making one feel safe.

I guess I'm just silly in thinking that there's a chance we might one day just accept the fact that we are all gonna die and stop making stupid fucking choices because we are afraid of missing/losing something.

07/26/12 12:36 PM

smllyjlly posted:
I guess I'm just silly in thinking that there's a chance we might one day just accept the fact that we are all gonna die and stop making stupid fucking choices because we are afraid of missing/losing something.

With this comment, it makes a great segue for this-

The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride..." And we... kill those people.

"SHUT HIM UP! We have a lot invested in this ride! Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This just has to be real." Just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter because: It's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defences each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
-Bill Hicks

07/26/12 1:41 PM

^yes I have heard this before. If only...

nin forums : General Discussion : Let the BS begin!!! The Aur...
Page: <  1 2 3 4 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy