nin.com news 10.10.11: NIN contributes to upcoming U2 tribute album

Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

10/10/11 8:54 PM

trent reznor posted:

http://nin.com/images/q-mag.jpg

A new Nine Inch Nails cover of U2's "Zoo Station" will appear on Q Magazine's upcoming tribute album to Achtung Baby. The album will be included free in the magazine's October 25th issue. More info and track listing here.

LEO EDIT: Formatting and links

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 09:10PM by leo3375.

10/10/11 9:08 PM

smiling smiley Read this at Pitchfork this morning. So happy. smiling smiley

10/10/11 3:34 AM

Nine Inch Nails Covers U2's "Zoo Station" for "Achtung Baby" Tribute

From U2's Official Website:
http://www.u2.com/news/title/achtung-baby-covered

A host of famous names, including The Killers, Jack White, Nine Inch Nails, Snow Patrol, Patti Smith and Depeche Mode, have re-created U2’s Achtung Baby album in celebration of its 20th anniversary.

The collection of brand new recordings, 'AHK-toong BAY-bi Covered', also marks the 25th anniversary of Q Magazine, and Q Editor in Chief Paul Rees said he believes the album sets a new - and higher - benchmark for the growing popularity of free CD's. 'Not only in the sense that each of the tracks are brand new recordings by some of the biggest and most iconic names in music such as Jack White, Nine Inch Nails and Patti Smith, but also in that several of them mark the first new material we have heard from these acts in a long time – such as those by The Killers, Damien Rice and Garbage.
'This is an entirely appropriate way to mark Q's anniversary and that of Achtung Baby, one of the pivotal albums in our lifetime.'

The magazine/CD package will be available in store from October 26th and also from www.qthemusic.com.

The full track listing for 'AHK-toong BAY-bi Covered': Nine Inch Nails – Zoo Station;
U2 (Jacques Lu Cont Mix) – Even Better Than The Real Thing; Damien Rice – One; Patti Smith – Until The End Of The World; Garbage – Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses; Depeche Mode – So Cruel; Snow Patrol – Mysterious Ways; The Fray – Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World; Gavin Friday – The Fly; The Killers – Ultraviolet (Light My Way); Glasvegas – Acrobat; Jack White – Love Is Blindness.

Yayyy, typo in the title. This should be good, I'm eager to hear it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 03:00AM by Jeremyyy.

10/10/11 3:53 AM

I do hate U2 ... but I guess I'll be going to the newsagents today

10/10/11 4:00 AM

Here's the original song, for those who haven't heard it:
U2 - Zoo Station

This isn't the first time Nine Inch Nails and U2 have crossed paths... Trent did a remix of "Vertigo" a few years back and did a cover of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" with Saul Williams.

U2 - Vertigo (Trent Reznor Remix)

Saul Williams - Sunday Bloody Sunday

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 03:10AM by Jeremyyy.

10/10/11 4:57 AM

Jeremyyy posted:
U2 - Zoo Station

This isn't the first time Nine Inch Nails and U2 have crossed paths... Trent did a remix of "Vertigo" a few years back and did a cover of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" with Saul Williams.

Technically, it was Saul's decision to do the cover, Trent simply produced it. I really hope NIN's version sounds nothing like this though :|

10/10/11 6:10 AM

Sheepdean posted:
Jeremyyy posted:
U2 - Zoo Station

Technically, it was Saul's decision to do the cover, Trent simply produced it. I really hope NIN's version sounds nothing like this though :|

As far as I know, Trent not only produced Sunday Bloody Sunday, but played all the instruments. So, it's a real TR cover song with Saul on vocals.

edit - from the pdf booklet at Sunday Blood Sunday:

New arrangement by Trent Reznor
Add. Programing by Saul Williams
Vox: Saul Williams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 04:26AM by laci.

10/10/11 5:25 AM

laci posted:
Sheepdean posted:
Jeremyyy posted:
U2 - Zoo Station

As far as I know, Trent not only produced Sunday Bloody Sunday, but played all the instruments. So, it's a real TR cover song with Saul on vocals.
Atticus AND Trent. And I fail to see how it's a Trent cover, if it's on a Saul album, a song chosen by Saul and featuring Saul and only Saul in the video.

10/10/11 5:53 AM

Fuck's sake. I haven't logged into this account for a while and I stumble over and find this news blurb. I'm kinda surprised it remained a secret until now. Anyhow, I have to figure out where the fuck to purchase Q with the CD since most of the physical record stores & Borders book stores are closed. Sure a flac would suffice for a while, but I'm a pretty big U2 & NIN collector (and a wee bit of a Garbage) and this is too good to pass up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 04:54AM by FULLMETAL.

10/10/11 6:41 AM

Actually, I'm a big fan of that album and that track in particular, so this is perfect! Will defo being heading to WH Smiths that day!

10/10/11 7:57 AM

seems like i need an english friend

10/10/11 9:52 AM

That album is among the best from the 90s, great.

Now I wonder how the hell am I going to get a physical copy, I guess I'll have to wait until it's sold on ebay for a billion bucks. sad smiley

@Sheepdean: It's a SW's cover, ok, but TR did everything in the musical department, thus the music in that cover basically is TR covering U2 with SW singing, no matter on what album it was released and who is the singer. Also SW himself admitted that Niggy Tardust was more of a collab album by both Trent and himself but they just released it as a SW's album because Trent thought it was the right thing to do. But anyway, who cares, TR was important for that cover, the stuff you hear on it comes from him except for the voice, it's not exactly a NIN's cover but it's prett close imo. winking smiley

10/10/11 9:59 AM

Can we get this as a single first? The other bands I'm not really into. Some of them I fucking hate. *points to Snow Patrol and The Fray*

10/10/11 10:25 AM

I never liked U2, I tried, but with no luck. So I guess Trent's cover will be much better than the original, he's good at covering. Still, I won't wait for this one; I have no high hopes, let it be a good surprise smiling smiley

10/10/11 1:29 PM

Cool. I like U2, always have, I just don't think they are as great as some claim. And Bono's messianic-complex is pretty irritating.
http://chrisgaldi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Bono.jpg

10/10/11 2:09 PM

Billed as NIN - but I wonder if this is in effect a TR production, as opposed to a band recording. No hints from Ilan/JMJ from recent tweets.

10/10/11 2:18 PM

simonn posted:
Billed as NIN - but I wonder if this is in effect a TR production, as opposed to a band recording. No hints from Ilan/JMJ from recent tweets.
I don't know if it's really necessary to say that TR is NIN. winking smiley

Ilan or JMJ weren't part of most of NIN's recordings anyway, most of the studio stuff is usually done by TR, NIN has never been the kind of band were all its members were needed in the studio.

I guess you just meant that you wondered if other members have recorded anything for this cover, and I don't know, but either if they have or have not, this will be a NIN's cover while TR is involved and wants to release it as NIN.

10/10/11 3:54 PM

Looking forward to this.

10/10/11 4:42 PM

That's a bit unusual. But, hey, new NIN. I'm not going to complain. I like U2.

10/10/11 8:32 PM

I forgot to mention how I wouldn't mind a U2's album produced by Trent that was different to what they usually do, like Achtung Baby was different to their previous albums 20 years ago.

I would swear he once said that he didn't like U2 very much, but he has remixed them and now he is covering them, and you also have Saul's cover even if it was Saul's decision to do it, also I remember how Manson said that he met Axl Rose when Trent took him to a U2's show in the early 90s, and he must have probably listened to most of their albums, specially the ones produced by Flood, I guess. Thus I don't know if he really likes them or not, but I wonder how a U2's album would sound with Trent's production, I think it could be cool and even good. X-D

Well, let's wait to see if this cover is any good first, just in case. X-D

EDIT: I've just read that if you buy Q's magazine and you are not from England, you'll just receive the magazine with no CD. sad smiley Those who live in other countries and are planning to buy it should ask before if this is true or not. :/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 07:41PM by LEONCIORULES.

10/10/11 9:32 PM

Great news!

10/10/11 10:10 PM

is this the same song as Tetsuo theme?

NVM misread the ninhotline article

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 09:15PM by Kathal.

10/10/11 9:15 PM

Looks like Q is the magazine to get this month.

I'm guessing since it's not April Fool's, this is real. Sick!

10/10/11 9:15 PM

God damn, so much butthurt over this.

It's a new NIN recording after two years or so. You should be happy. Who gives a shit about the other bands on the album enough to complain? If you don't like them, just go torrent the NIN cover individually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 09:16PM by rodheh.

10/10/11 9:16 PM

I just don't like the idea... confused smiley

10/10/11 9:19 PM

One of my favourite tracks from one of my favourite albums by U2.I can't wait to hear it.

10/10/11 9:41 PM

http://snaapz.bounceme.net/nin1.jpg

10/10/11 9:48 PM

Looking at the Facebook comments for this announcement is hilarious. So much ignorance.

10/10/11 9:58 PM

FernandoDANTE posted:
Looking at the Facebook comments for this announcement is hilarious. So much ignorance.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/126/314/3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

10/10/11 10:13 PM

Man saw this on Facebook and there were sooo many U2 haters. This album is my favorite album of all time. If I could I would give this album out to everyone in the world to listen to it. Im 20 years old so many people my age dont know about this album or any other U2 before Beutiful Day besides Sunday Bloody Sunday, I will Follow, With Or Without You and Pride. When I saw this on U2 website and saw NIN was doing a cover, Zoo Station was the first song to pop into my head.

Still annoyed a lot of people havnt heard this album thanks to Beautiful Day and Vertigo. If there was a U2 album I would pick for a NIN fan it would be this album. GO LISTEN TO IT! Whatever, I love both bands. U2s my favorite band, NIN is very close to being right there with them.

nin forums : Nine Inch Nails Discussion : nin.com news 10.10.11: NIN ...
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

terms of use | privacy policy