nin.com news 10.25.11: Listen to NIN's new cover of U2's "Zoo Station"

Page:  1 2 3 4 5 >

10/25/11 3:00 PM

trent reznor posted:
http://nin.com/images/nin-u2.jpg

You can listen to Nine Inch Nails's new cover of U2''s "Zoo Station" over at Consequence of Sound. The track appears on Q Magazine's tribute album to Achtung Baby, available in their current issue. (Via Pitchfork)

another link to listen: [fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com]

order links:

Q Magazine - UK only: [www.greatmagazines.co.uk]

amazon UK: [www.amazon.co.uk]

U2 store: [u2.fanfire.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 04:18PM by SwimFin.

10/25/11 3:07 PM

it is nice to hear our good tr's voice again. been quite some time. however, i'm not goo-goo-gaga over this song. seems like maybe he and his partner crime wanted to challenge themselves again, like they did with their classical remake on tsn score. so it's cool in that vein. he sure does keep us on our toes.

10/25/11 3:09 PM

I think its awesome. Well done. I love the emotion in tr's voice he actually seems happy!

10/25/11 3:15 PM

i cant listen to it, can anybody help me in listening to this song because im dieing to hear it

10/25/11 3:16 PM

stevewilliamsnin92 posted:
i cant listen to it, can anybody help me in listening to this song because im dieing to hear it
If you don't have flash player, the stream won't work (try refreshing the page if you do). If that fails, try going directly to the blog page, [fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 03:17PM by Sheepdean.

10/25/11 3:33 PM

Saw U2 on the first US tour for "Boy" and at Red Rocks for "Unforgettable Fire" but have lost track since then. But this sounds great as always love the way Trent interprets music and creates and original sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 03:33PM by sturmanjh.

10/25/11 3:33 PM

Does anybody knows if the other vocal is Atticus' ? I guess so, but not quite sure...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 03:33PM by metaphysical_belle.

10/25/11 3:34 PM

So this is what Trent sounds like when he is singing in the shower...

To be honest, it kinda shows of his limitations when he isn't singing parts he wrote for himself.

C+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 03:34PM by HurtNoMore.

10/25/11 3:34 PM

metaphysical_belle posted:
Does anybody knows if the other vocal is Atticus' ? I guess so, but not quite sure...
The other vocal is Trent singing in a different pitch, if my ears are right. Atticus doesn't really sing much.

10/25/11 3:36 PM

It's good to hear again something of NIN, even if it is a cover of U2. Love the sound and the voice of Reznor fits perfectly.

10/25/11 3:50 PM

Good stuff! Great to hear Trent's voice again.

10/25/11 3:52 PM

The song gives me warm fuzzy feelings inside. Like I could drive down the California coast on a roadtrip to the song smiling smiley Happy music

10/25/11 3:59 PM

Was never a big fan of this song, until now! What a perfect song for you guys to cover! Let's get some new original music now.

10/25/11 4:00 PM

Found an mp3 this morning. When I first heard NIN version of 'Zoo Station'... All I could think was it was good to hear Trent again. After the 4th time listening I was diggin' his version. The song is over 6 minutes long, which was cool, and reminds me of NIN version of 'Metal' where the song is longer and Trent does his instrumental magic to the song.
The cool thing about nine inch nails is that they can cover a song and make it their own way but nobody can really cover nine inch nails when it comes to their music. I've heard several others try, but fail. The only decent cover is and always will be Johnny Cash's version of 'Hurt'. I've heard others but no...

10/25/11 4:01 PM

I loved it....I love how Trent has the balls to try something different every time....
some people aren't diggin' it but all I can say is Can you do any better?....lol...how many grammy's and oscar's do the haterz have...prolly none...

10/25/11 4:12 PM

A user from youtube, cjscott24 commented, "I read before about ZS being a ref to heroin use around the area in Berlin, and getting clean. Whether that's true I don't know. But the idea? of Trent covering it, given his past addictions, is one I definitely can get behind. Taken in that way, it def feels like the calm of realizing i'm ready to move past the destruction."

Is this true? If so, it helps me see the song in its light.

10/25/11 4:14 PM

Trent Reznor can do no wrong.

I can't think of any other band that does covers as well as Nine Inch Nails. You can listen to both the original and and cover and feel as if you are listening to two separate songs. Although the cover still keeps a charming, pleasent familiarity to the original.

I mean this about all NIN covers, not just Zoo Station.

10/25/11 4:17 PM

It is good, but we all want original material from T-Rez. If there is one thing this proves, it is that NIN is still alive, even if it never "died" this reassures us that TR is still willing to sing in his music.

10/25/11 4:18 PM

angelrosewater posted:
A user from youtube, cjscott24 commented, "I read before about ZS being a ref to heroin use around the area in Berlin, and getting clean. Whether that's true I don't know. But the idea? of Trent covering it, given his past addictions, is one I definitely can get behind. Taken in that way, it def feels like the calm of realizing i'm ready to move past the destruction."

According to Wikipedia:

The song's lyrics were inspired by a surrealistic story about Berlin from World War II that lead vocalist Bono heard, when overnight bombing damaged the zoo and allowed animals to escape and wander around the city's rubble. Bono was also inspired by the city's Berlin Zoologischer Garten railway station and used it as a metaphor for a reuniting Germany.

10/25/11 4:22 PM

just ripped the stream from the FYAR Tumblr and am listening on my XMPlay now, and yes, i think i must get this CD still!

10/25/11 4:22 PM

Sheepdean posted:
angelrosewater posted:

According to Wikipedia:

The song's lyrics were inspired by a surrealistic story about Berlin from World War II that lead vocalist Bono heard, when overnight bombing damaged the zoo and allowed animals to escape and wander around the city's rubble. Bono was also inspired by the city's Berlin Zoologischer Garten railway station and used it as a metaphor for a reuniting Germany.
Interesting. A song about renewal and unity. I wonder if TR put additional special meaning to it personally other than a tribute.

10/25/11 4:25 PM

valkjas posted:
just ripped the stream from the FYAR Tumblr and am listening on my XMPlay now, and yes, i think i must get this CD still!
Something I forgot to mention, and more incentive to buy: the track is only playing at a measly 192kbps (Tumblr's upload limit forced me to cut quality), so if you want to hear the track at full power, you'll need to get the disc!

10/25/11 4:29 PM

Sheepdean posted:
metaphysical_belle posted:
The other vocal is Trent singing in a different pitch, if my ears are right. Atticus doesn't really sing much.

Do you think so? it really sounded to me like a different voice, will listen to it again.
otherwise I like it a lot, although I think 'Zooropa' is more their album to cover.

10/25/11 4:38 PM

HurtNoMore posted:

To be honest, it kinda shows of his limitations when he isn't singing parts he wrote for himself.

C+

What are you talking about? How does this show any limitations? I don't hear any strain or off key singing. If anything, I hear Trent expanding his range. It sounds like him, but in some parts, it doesn't. "With your face pushed up against the glass..." Sounds very deep and I don't think I've ever heard his voice that low before. Amazing. I love how he says/sings "glass."

I am so happy I got to hear this song. I thought it would be hard to get a hold of. Now I'll probably listen to it too many times, but that's okay; I've got headphones on.

10/25/11 4:42 PM

This is great

10/25/11 4:43 PM

I like it, it kinda reminds me of TV on the radio which I also dig smiling smiley

10/25/11 4:46 PM

LOL. I agree with the 'glass' thing. I love how he whispers words in his music sometimes, and they still sound cool and powerful.
m0nster posted:
HurtNoMore posted:

C+

What are you talking about? How does this show any limitations? I don't hear any strain or off key singing. If anything, I hear Trent expanding his range. It sounds like him, but in some parts, it doesn't. "With your face pushed up against the glass..." Sounds very deep and I don't think I've ever heard his voice that low before. Amazing. I love how he says/sings "glass."

I am so happy I got to hear this song. I thought it would be hard to get a hold of. Now I'll probably listen to it too many times, but that's okay; I've got headphones on.

10/25/11 5:03 PM

angelrosewater posted:
LOL. I agree with the 'glass' thing. I love how he whispers words in his music sometimes, and they still sound cool and powerful.

It's the best part of the song. #whispers# for reaaaaal

I've listened to the other two songs. Depeche Mode's cover sounds like U2. Defeats the purpose. The Killers' isn't exactly groundbreaking either.

10/25/11 5:10 PM

Spacey, happy. Doesn't really sound like Nails and that's good.

10/25/11 5:15 PM

God, so many whiny bitches about this cover.

Sounds good.

Interesting to hear how Trent's voice has changed. He sounds a bit older now, about time.

nin forums : Nine Inch Nails Discussion : nin.com news 10.25.11: List...
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy