nin.com news 11.2.11: A note to musicians about TuneCore

Page:  1 2 3 >

11/02/11 10:00 AM

trent reznor posted:
I began using TuneCore six years ago with the release of Ghosts. They seemed like an interesting and efficient solution to get my music out everywhere and circumvent the existing machine in place at that time. The experience went very well - they actually did what they said they would in a straightforward, transparent, efficient and logical manner...I was sure they wouldn't have a chance of surviving in the music business with that philosophy!
Years later, we're both still standing. I've continued using TuneCore for all my releases since Ghosts including "The Social Network" and plan to use them for the upcoming "The Girl WIth The Dragon Tattoo" and the new full-length from How To Destroy Angels.
When they reached out to tell me about their new big idea - adding transparency and straightforwardness to the murky waters of publishing administration (which to me is a world as boring and convoluted as it sounds) I was very interested. If they could pull off what they did with distribution on the publishing administration side of things, this could be a pretty big deal - it could be another important tool that further empowers the musician / songwriter directly.
OK, I'm in. Check the link below for more information or check back in a few years and I'll tell you how it went! [www.tunecore.com]

TR

edit: added links

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 04:17PM by SwimFin.

11/02/11 10:09 AM

posted:
and the new full-length from How To Destroy Angels.
grinning smiley

11/02/11 10:10 AM

trent reznor posted:
...and the new full-length from How To Destroy Angels.
Nice! I'm really looking forward for this album.

11/02/11 10:10 AM

Always on top of new tools and ideas ! Way to go Trent !

Oh... and new HTDA ! YAY !!! smiling smiley

11/02/11 10:12 AM

Good to hear! I've been looking through distribution services and this one really stood out to me. I should be signing up with this service once I get my next project rolling.

11/02/11 10:14 AM

This looks great for songwriters!! Will look into it.

11/02/11 10:23 AM

Hmmm... I have a few friends that might be interested in having this information... including my son, who has started programming his own compositions in his digital music class at his high school. smiling smiley VERY excited for both the new HTDA album and the soundtrack for TGWTDT... YAY!!!

11/02/11 10:32 AM

Very Awesome. Looks like a good way to go, plus Ghosts was mentioned....is that a hint?....and i can't wait for HTDA new release, which was due out eleventeen years ago...

11/02/11 10:53 AM

Sick! My band is looking for somewhere to put our first release...maybe we'll give Tunecore the job.

facebook.com/strongmanmusic for any metalheads who are interested in checking shit out! grinning smiley

Thanks for helpin decide on a service TR!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 10:54AM by trynstopme.

11/02/11 10:58 AM

New music from Trent! I am not a music creator just a listener and this is fucking exciting! can't wait to hear it all!

11/02/11 10:59 AM

looked into this website a little while ago and loved it. good to hear things are branching out now.

11/02/11 11:07 AM

In Trent We Trust

11/02/11 11:10 AM

Very cool - thanx!!

11/02/11 11:47 AM

I had seen them when they first started and decided to wait and see if they would stick around. Had seen some bad comments from unsatisfied users but I think they were just confused about the admin part and impatient. Am very happy to see your commentary about them as I have been pondering using them for a long time.

I am curious about the songwriting page and how as a performer and songwriter that would work out. I will definitely have to read through it all and will keep an eye out for what you experience. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 11:50AM by TweedlD.

11/02/11 11:49 AM

cant wait to hear the new stuff,

11/02/11 12:03 PM

Great news!

11/02/11 1:09 PM

six years ago with the release of Ghosts

but that was three years ago :-|

11/02/11 12:17 PM

I don't understand. What exactly did Tunecore change?

11/02/11 12:55 PM

Thanks for this TR. I am using Tunecore. Seems fine so far.

11/02/11 12:56 PM

BenAkenobi posted:

From how I interpret it...he started the Ghosts project and working with Tunecore 6 years ago (but the release was obviously 3 years ago).

11/02/11 1:22 PM

The issue at hand with TuneCore is based on the principle that they are changing the Terms of Service, which defeats the purpose there of having one. If artists signed up to distribute music for $20/year for that release, this should not change year to year for that particular release. They should be allowed to change the Terms of Service for new releases and artists have the right to decide to continue to distribute new music with TuneCore.

If an artist decides not to renew at an arbitrary new rate, TuneCore will take down all your releases from the stores that you distributed with them. It also disappoints me that the Internet links that point to my TuneCore distributed release on iTunes will now be invalid if an artist decides not to renew. If you do decided to renew after they take it down, it will be under a new iTunes url link. All the "recommended" and "also bought" displays will also be invalid.

Furthermore, who is to say TuneCore won't charge $100, $200, or even $500 PER release ANNUALLY at anytime they want because they set precedent to change the Terms of Service whenever they want without a grandfathered clause? It's basically extortion tactics the mob used but covered as economic duress.

http://facebook.com/DeltaDreams
http://DeltaDreams.com

11/02/11 1:32 PM

OMS posted:
BenAkenobi posted:

From how I interpret it...he started the Ghosts project and working with Tunecore 6 years ago (but the release was obviously 3 years ago).

Ghosts only took 10 weeks to produce.
I think Trent's inadvertantly revealed how he keeps so busy - time slows down to half-rate in the vicinity of his superdense neck muscles.

11/02/11 1:34 PM

gee thanks mr. reznor!

so these people are like a record company?

i hope they can manufacture hard copy music!

i hope you got some new nine inch nails ideas.

i can keep waiting though, thanks for all the great stuff to hold us over!

11/02/11 2:31 PM

deltadreams posted:
The issue at hand with TuneCore is based on the principle that they are changing the Terms of Service, which defeats the purpose there of having one. If artists signed up to distribute music for $20/year for that release, this should not change year to year for that particular release. They should be allowed to change the Terms of Service for new releases and artists have the right to decide to continue to distribute new music with TuneCore.

If an artist decides not to renew at an arbitrary new rate, TuneCore will take down all your releases from the stores that you distributed with them. It also disappoints me that the Internet links that point to my TuneCore distributed release on iTunes will now be invalid if an artist decides not to renew. If you do decided to renew after they take it down, it will be under a new iTunes url link. All the "recommended" and "also bought" displays will also be invalid.

Furthermore, who is to say TuneCore won't charge $100, $200, or even $500 PER release ANNUALLY at anytime they want because they set precedent to change the Terms of Service whenever they want without a grandfathered clause? It's basically extortion tactics the mob used but covered as economic duress.

Tunecore should maybe offer the option of a fixed rate for a few years, I agree.

11/02/11 3:19 PM

Yeah, I've heard some pretty bad, shady things about TuneCore. I imagine Trent doesn't experience any of these problems because he is such a huge artist that always promotes them, so they probably treat him like royalty. Just saying, anybody looking into TuneCore might want to read up on it a bit first.

11/02/11 3:41 PM

estevancarlos posted:
Tunecore should maybe offer the option of a fixed rate for a few years, I agree.

I really believed in TuneCore when they first started. Their website/service looked amazing and slick. But I now have doubts on the ethics of their leadership. I had a discussion with a Tunecore senior executive about this.

It's like if you don't continue to pay the post office an annual fee, they will come to the house and take away the stuff that you already paid them for initially to send out. It really is just extortion in it's simplest form.

I also mentioned that their "Free" widgets, players are very misleading since they require you to pay their annual fee (that they can change at whatever price) they decide. They seemed to have listened and not mention "Free" on their website after that heated discussion.

It took me awhile to decide whether I should renew with them but I finally decided to redistribute my albums again with CDBaby as they don't have this sort of Shenanigans. I made my decision based on my principle that my music would not be held hostage to any corporate extortion. I'll probably lose some sales from "recommended" and "also bought" but I have to plan for long term success without someone with a click of a mouse take down my music from online stores.

11/02/11 4:14 PM

deltadreams posted:

I also mentioned that their "Free" widgets, players are very misleading since they require you to pay their annual fee (that they can change at whatever price) they decide. They seemed to have listened and not mention "Free" on their website after that heated discussion.

As a web developer and musician, I'm shocked about the "widget" thing. Top Spin offers something similar. Widgets are increasingly important for spreading content across the internet. It's surprising that some services charge to be able to have this. Widgets are terribly easy to create and set up. It's the audio streaming that can become pricey... but if you use something like soundcloud and integrate that into a suitable widget, you're good.

11/02/11 5:24 PM

So friggin' pumped for the new HTDA!!! I'm hoping you tour some cities because I WILL fly out to LA or wherever you are to check it out live. Very exciting times and thank you for all you do, Trent, Mariqueen, and Atticus!

11/02/11 6:30 PM

DrVertigo posted:
OMS posted:
BenAkenobi posted:

Ghosts only took 10 weeks to produce.
I think Trent's inadvertantly revealed how he keeps so busy - time slows down to half-rate in the vicinity of his superdense neck muscles.
Also I guess he couldn't work with Tunecore when he still was working with Interscope, I doubt they would have allowed him to use this Tunecore thing for With Teeth. XD

For a moment I almost had to use my fingers for basic maths, since I couldn't believe Ghosts was released 6 years ago and we were in the 2014 already, but I guess TR is the one with memory problems here and not me. XD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 06:30PM by LEONCIORULES.

11/02/11 7:24 PM

Thanks, Trent! I have never heard of Tunecore. I support them and what they are trying to do, especially if it involves the creation of your recent work. The entire Ghosts album has been a major influence on my life, along with the rest of your music. Whenever I am unsure of a feeling, I turn on NIN, How to Destroy Angels, or your work with The Social Network. I have been wondering for some time now when the full length will come out for HTDA, and it is very exciting to hear that it is on its way! Keep up the good work buddy, I really appreciate everything you have done.

nin forums : Nine Inch Nails Discussion : nin.com news 11.2.11: A not...
Page:  1 2 3 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy