TR writes Call of Duty:Black Ops II theme

Page:  1 2 3 4 5 >

07/10/12 11:10 AM

[pitchfork.com]

mod edit: new title and merged threads

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2012 04:10PM by SwimFin.

07/10/12 11:38 AM

posted:
Reznor described the music to USA Today as "aggressively sounding" guitar rock that incorporates bass and drums...

...Of the music, Reznor said, "There is a lot of reservations and angst and sense of loss and regret and anger bubbling under the surface. So it didn't make sense to have a gung ho patriotic kind of theme song. It has to feel weighty."

Sounds like we got a bit of Nine Inch Nails going on in here. The description implies that it's got a Broken feel to it. Hell fucking yes!!!!

07/10/12 1:01 PM

Gun fire in the street
Where we used to meet
Echoes out a beat and a
Bass goes BOMB

07/10/12 12:01 PM

Awesome!!

07/10/12 12:59 PM

I found the article where Trent talks about the new HTDA album and also that he's working on new NIN but claims it's in it's "gestation period".

[content.usatoday.com]

To be honest I don't like Call Of Duty but it'll be interesting to hear what this track sounds like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 01:01PM by Churchy.

07/10/12 3:14 PM

07/10/12 6:32 PM

[www.youtube.com]

^^^ Not sure how much of Trent's work is in this since I can't hear any "aggressively sounding guitar rock that incorporates bass and drums", but sure as fuck can't wait to hear it. The way he puts it sounds like a bit of departure from Ghosts and the scores (as Patrick_Nicholas already mentioned).

07/11/12 10:59 AM

If i'm not mistaken, Black ops II takes place at the same time as part of Year Zero: 2022.

Is this an innocent coincidence? I hope not! grinning smiley

It's be so sick if they incorperated some YZ plot into the game. But unfortunately it sounds like he is only doing the one track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2012 11:04AM by HurtNoMore.

07/10/12 8:09 PM

So TR is doing the theme song for Call of Duty: Black Ops II...

So that's the story... my problem? For a guy who had a problem with Fox News using his music he sure doesn't mind giving Activision a little PR boost after the flak they copped for hiring Olivier North as a consultant.

I mean The Hand That Feeds was an attack on the Bush government, all of Year Zero was a reaction to America becoming more conservative and TR even joined the protested against his music being used as torture.

Activision is the epitome of what is wrong with the video game industry in so many ways. Look at the dirt file shit they did to the creators of Call of Duty.

And what about Oliver North being used to promote the game? A man who is not only a Fox News "expert" but is undeniably partly responsible for the death of men, women and children in Nicaragua in the 80s and selling missiles to Iran. He should be in jail, but Regan bailed him out.

Then there's the attack on Anonymous and the Occupy Wall Street protester. Cinema is letting down the conservatives, so video games like this (not all of course) have become the domain of the right-wing. Something TR once protested against.

I'm not saying you have to agree with me AT ALL. I mean if you like Activision and support Olivier North I can't change your mind. But TR propped himself up as a left-wing radical who wanted to defy what he saw as injustice in America during the Bush years. Now? He does soundtracks and will make music for whoever will pay him. That's fine too, but drop the left-wing act, the overall message of Year Zero counts for nothing now.

You can't work with Activision and Olivier North, while working against Anonymous and the '99% movement', and maintain a liberal left-wing position that sell albums. It's not right.

NIN is still easily my favourite music of all time... but I think Trent has lost his way.

07/11/12 2:07 AM

I don't think Trent has ever explicitly stated he's left-wing - being anti-Bush and anti-Fox is just called being a decent human being, not left-wing.

07/11/12 3:35 AM

Sheepdean posted:
I don't think Trent has ever explicitly stated he's left-wing - being anti-Bush and anti-Fox is just called being a decent human being, not left-wing.

This.

Plus, a game is a game. Why read into who's promoting it or who's producing it? Activision is merely a producer/distributor, not a developer. The company that financially backs the actual developer has nothing to do with the integrity of the art being created.

07/11/12 7:36 AM

Half of his NIN albums were released on Interscope, he scored a movie in which Justin Timberlake played a prominent role, and he even cut his hair. But he still kept his creative integrity. I don't think he CAN "sell out". "Selling out" is when a band completely drops their integrity the moment they get their hands on some $$$ and often ends up making half-ass radio rock kinda like what happened to Metallica in the 90s.

07/11/12 9:43 AM

I think this is looking a little too deeply to be honest we all know Trent likes video games and that's all this is about. As the other guys said I don't know if he ever claimed to be "a left-wing radical"

In regards to what you said in general, the Occupy movement was stupid, they were never really going to achieve much and should have just carried on working and studying to work on creating a better world for themselves in the future rather than squandering their hours on protesting against the most greedy and ignorant people in society.

Furthermore, Bush was a fool every sane person on this planet knew that...All he ever did was provide people like Seth Macfarlane with instant material and the whole NIN being used as torture thing would probably offend any artist to say that their music is torture and I don't think anyone ever wants to be in any way responsible for torturing someone.

Some of what you say about the whole Activision/COD thing is true though but, is Trent aware of that? ...and could he not just be thinking of this as a video game he likes to play being a platform for his music to be heard and for his music to enhance something he enjoys. I personally, don't think it means he agrees with anything Oliver North says or does at all that guy is a slimey dousche, I don't think all of the millions of people who have played the game across the world all think of it in those terms either so maybe Trent doesn't.

Anyway, I'm not trying to rant at you, but, I hope reading everyone's replies will kind of restore your faith a bit and show that Trent doesn't seem to have betrayed any of his ideologies (in my opinion.) though, the fact that he is married and now has kids would probably explain some changes that my occur now and in the future...

ps.The main thing to remember is that we're getting new music (again.)and like HEALTH's awesome new Max Payne 3 Soundtrack I'm not actually going to play the game but, I'm just going to listen to the theme and enjoy it so perhaps looking at it in that sense may be better...

07/11/12 1:30 PM

I'm not a fan of Call of Duty or Activision by any means, but maybe Trent saw something in black ops 2 that he felt reflected his opinions with year zero in some way?

It is also said that black ops 2, due to its setting, calls for a more industrial score than bombastic. Keep in mind that trent is only doing the theme, one piece of music.

Also, due to the fact that this score is much more industrial it could be possible that one of trent's friends is involved in the score somehow and he just wanted to help out.

It's just one piece of music, and it's just a publicity stunt on activisions behalf. Just like bioware, mass effect 3, and clint mansell.

07/11/12 2:44 PM

SWF18 posted:
maybe Trent saw something in black ops 2 that he felt reflected his opinions with year zero in some way?

I don't know about you, but whenever I listen to Year Zero I never once find myself thinking "Hm, maybe Trent was thinking about how cool it would be marching into another country and shooting a load of people because the government tells you to".

As much as I still love Reznor it feels like a bit of a stab in the back following all his anti-Bush and anti-war messages and trusting him as a pioneer of everything I believe in, while he's been going home afterwards to get off on shooting vertual Iraqis in the Aerican uniform.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2012 03:22AM by BlackInWards.

07/11/12 4:20 PM

I agree with everyone else's comments- I think you're just looking for something that isn't there. It's no surprise that Trent is a fan of video games and he probably just likes the Call of Duty franchise. The whole "guilt by association" thing is quite a stretch here. Just because Activision hired Oliver North doesn't necessarily mean they agree with what he's done and you certainly can't say the COD creators and team feel the same way and then somehow say that Trent has "lost his way". You're overanalyzing the whole thing.

You wonder why Trent just said the hell with it and stopped actually speaking with the fans and online community frequently. Every decision he makes seems to provoke some type of idiot who feels that he's "disappointed" them or gone against what he believes in. Give the guy a motherfucking break. Not everything everyone does has some specific fucking meaning. Did the possibility that maybe he just wanted to write music for a game he enjoys ever cross your mind?

Not everything is about you and it's not Trent Reznor's responsibility to make decisions based on what fans think or may feel- especially about an outrageous claim like this. Goes to show you that no musician can do ANYTHING without someone accusing them of ridiculous shit. Good luck finding a company that doesn't have someone somewhere down the line who has done questionable things and may be a scumbag. I doubt you'll find one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2012 04:22PM by AshX.

07/11/12 4:34 PM

*bump*

I hope everyone can find this thread now that I've changed the title and merged the other to it. We also have a thread in the gaming forum that we'll leave for discussion which is geared more towards the game itself, if that's possible.

/game on

07/11/12 7:16 PM

I can't believe people are complaining about this. I've read some pretty ignorant posts on gaming websites that say things such as, "Wow, Trent's still alive and relevant after 1995?". I come on nin.com to escape that and find people still searching for ways to shake their head at him.

Trent's a known gamer. The next installment of the Call of Duty franchise is well anticipated by the community, he obviously enjoys the series, perhaps found a parallel with his Year Zero universe, and decided to write a song for the theme. Judging by his description, it seems that it'll give us that good 'Fuck yeah, Nine Inch Nails!' moment(s)(assuming it's under NIN, though it doesn't really matter). I guarantee if it were just put on the eventual new album, no one would raise an eyebrow and just enjoy it for what it is, new NIN music.

Regarding all the hate attached to Oliver North, Activision, and the Call of Duty franchise, I somehow find myself doubting that Trent really cares or pays attention to the journalism . Maybe he is aware, doesn't give a fuck, and just wants to write a song for something he enjoys. That's beyond fine and none of our business. I personally cannot wait.

He's giving us new music, shut up and enjoy it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2012 07:17PM by mjfru.

07/11/12 7:23 PM

Nice!

Not related to COD but to the article.. TR again mentions that he will be writing & producing new NIN material. I'm really curious to see what the theme/vibe will be in 2012/2013.

I always think of artists becoming successful based on spitting out their feelings & struggles as a youth. When one becomes successful, sober, mature and family oriented it's hard to imagine an artist still spitting out angst, depression and hate when their life is seemingly stable and rewarding.

What new or dorment difficulties & problems is he facing now that he wishes to share with us. I think it may be more politics/life/observations and less internal struggles.

Anyways, as always.. best of luck to the camp. Looks like they are busy as fuck.

07/11/12 7:32 PM

Honestly as this sunk in, I had to say something. I'm pretty disappointed in this move.

Not because he's doing the theme for a CoD game. I've listened to music for games I don't care for before, that's nothing new, and I'm sure his theme will be great. It's also not because he's "selling out" or anything like that.

But it's because in the past TR was quoted saying this.

Then in the USA Today article, he said: "...and when I say 'wary,' I have seen big companies and publishers get involved, and I have seen a similar to Hollywood hierarchy set up where, often, innovation gets bulldozed by franchises and familiarity and let's milk sequels out. What I have appreciated about the Call of Duty games is the scale of production. It's not an indie game. It's not trying to be an indie game. But I've genuinely been pretty consistently blown away by, wow, what an effort has gone into this. I get what they are going for."

So...is there a joke going on here or something? I don't get it. Is this Trent's stab at some cognitive dissonance style humor?

Does he not realize that the CoD franchise is like, LITERALLY the epitome of "same game mechanism", "milk out sequels", "innovation bulldozed by publishers/franchises" and so is not "what an effort" when it comes to its titles? The last serious update the the game's mechanics was CoD 4. They put out a new game every year and it tends to be merely updates on weapons, maps, themes and occasionally a new game mode. The last one, Modern Warfare 3, is the lowest bar the series has reached yet in terms of effort. It feels like a mod for Modern Warfare 2...which is what it is.

I don't want to criticize Trent over what he chooses to work on, but I'm just getting some serious contradictions from the interview comments. Either I completely misread what he's said about games in the past, or the USA Today interview completely butchered what he said to them. Maybe they left out a "despite all that, what I do appreciate about CoD is x and also I need the money". That would make a lot more sense.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2012 07:37PM by rodheh.

07/11/12 7:38 PM

rodheh posted:
Honestly as this sunk in, I had to say something. I'm pretty disappointed in this move.

Not because he's doing the theme for a CoD game. I've listened to music for games I don't care for before, that's nothing new, and I'm sure his theme will be great. It's also not because he's "selling out" or anything like that.

This was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the news about COD. I don't really understand. I've rationalized it out (personally) since then.

07/11/12 7:42 PM

SWF18 posted:
rodheh posted:

This was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the news about COD. I don't really understand. I've rationalized it out (personally) since then.

Really the only rationalization would be that either Trent lied/was misquoted, has changed his mind since then or is doing this ironically and the theme song will end up consisting of fart noises or something and the CoD players won't even notice the difference since they're all listening to Dubstep anyways. Then we'll all have a good laugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2012 07:46PM by rodheh.

07/11/12 8:12 PM

Oh my god - your comments are killing me. I just found out that he's scored some game, the new HTDA is close to release and there will be more NIN music. I rush to nin.com to celebrate and there's a thread that's turned to bashing him for scoring a video game? Jesus Christ, he hasn't written Romney's campaign song or done a promo for the right to life crazies, he scored a game.

Now let's focus on the fact that this is the first in a few releases over the next while and be fucking happy!

07/11/12 9:59 PM

Some people here seem to be convinced that a fan forum isn't a place for criticism. That's a rather stupid opinion imo.

So, here are my 2 cents:
I love what Trent did for the Fincher movies and what I especially liked was the combination of directorial and musical genius.
In my eyes call of duty is for video games what Transformers is for movies. The series is just forced, shallow and lacks innovation. Then there's the story, which is not only foreseeable in its clich├ęs but also has this weird touch of wanting to appeal to critics of the military complex while having its whole gaming appeal based on it.
Then there is the fact that Activision are major dicks. Saying that this doesn't apply to the developers may seem like a valid point, but it isn't. There is huge difference between a developer-driven and a publisher-driven game and it's not hard to figure out in which category cod belongs.

My point being: I think it's a waste of talent. To me it's a bit like he is making the soundtrack for... well call of duty would probably be something that I would have usually used in a metaphor like this one, since it's so bloody obvious that talent is wasted here.

And to all you haterhaters:
Yes, Trent has probably a good reason for doing it. Hell even money would be a good reason since it would be spent on producing fantastic music and feeding the awesome, but for me as a fan of his music it is a bit sad.

07/11/12 10:24 PM

TR likes playing COD multiplayer a lot and was asked to contribute to something he enjoyed and gets paid? whats the problem? there's not one person on here that if offered that same opportunity, would turn it down. dude has put in his time, he can have some fun, not everything he does has to be some super-serious monster with some message. perhaps after plowing through 2 consecutive film scores, an EP, PHM re-master, Tetsuo theme song, marriage and kids, he just wanted to do something easy and catch his breath.

perhaps we should all step back and realize that the best, seriously, the best, artist of this generation is still working and hasnt burned out and faded away like...everyone else from this generation. instead of moaning about COD and Ollie North, they both suck yes, be happy that TR is still kicking tail...I dont see how this is any worse than him writing a song exclusively for the Tomb Raider movie...the song has stood the test, but the movie...that thing got SIDS, AIDS and West Nile and then spontaneously combusted.

07/11/12 11:03 PM

pdhot65ton posted:
TR likes playing COD multiplayer a lot and was asked to contribute to something he enjoyed and gets paid? whats the problem? there's not one person on here that if offered that same opportunity, would turn it down.

Speak for yourself.

Also, if anyone has a serious problem that he's doing this, they should seriously reconsider why they like NIN, whether it's the music or Trent's "artistic integrity". I'm not a tremendous fan of this move but it's not going to stop me from liking NIN or anything and if it does for someone, well that's a bit immature.

07/12/12 12:12 AM

May I just say: YAY, new music!! smiling bouncing smiley

07/12/12 1:16 AM

mjfru posted:
I can't believe people are complaining about this. I've read some pretty ignorant posts on gaming websites that say things such as, "Wow, Trent's still alive and relevant after 1995?". I come on nin.com to escape that and find people still searching for ways to shake their head at him.

He's giving us new music, shut up and enjoy it.

Exactly.

I just think it's absolutely hilarious how a lot of people who have commented on this thread are so disappointed in Trent for doing this. I mean honestly, you're reading WAY too much into this. And as far as criticizing - no one wants to hear it. He's writing a song for a damn video game. Not a big deal at all. Chillax and deal with it.

07/12/12 5:32 AM

Krazy95 posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQv90T800kw

^^^ Not sure how much of Trent's work is in this since I can't hear any "aggressively sounding guitar rock that incorporates bass and drums", but sure as fuck can't wait to hear it. The way he puts it sounds like a bit of departure from Ghosts and the scores (as Patrick_Nicholas already mentioned).

Thanks for posting the link, Krazy95. I watched/listened and I like what I hear, but then I've always loved Trent's piano playing.

My son has all the Call Of Duty games and I daresay he will add this to his collection.

07/12/12 12:07 PM

rodeh,

We haven't seen the game yet. I wouldn't be suprised if TR is wary of it's subject matter, and expects BO II to be different in some meaningful way.

Kudos to the people for pointing out that Activision is the distributor, not the developer. The developer has little to no control over how their shit is marketed, just like any musician signed to a major label.

nin forums : Nine Inch Nails Discussion : TR writes Call of Duty:Blac...
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy