meaning of hurt lyric

Page:  1 2 >

11/11/08 7:26 PM

Hello, this is my first post on this nin discussion board. i was listening to hurt for probably the hundredth time today. you know the part where he sings "i would keep myself, i would find a way." well, what does everybody else think he meant by that? it occurred to me that he was referring to earlier lyrics, where he sang about how much he changed, he's not the same person anymore. and that if he had a chance to do things over again, he wouldn't let "the world" fuck with him, change him into the bitter person he can't help being. i thought i'd mention this because i always wondered and this is something i can relate to (whereas when i first fell in love with this album i was too naive to understand a lot of it).

word.

11/11/08 8:00 PM

im sorry but hurt is....overplayed for me now

11/11/08 11:56 PM

I dislike that song with a fucking passion. It is like one of those songs created for people who refuse to take their Prozac, because they got nothing better to do but to drive themselves crazy and the people around them fucking nuts, too. Even the lyrics is so fucking blowhard for attention. "I hurt myself today, to see if I can feel." Well, Goddamn! What a brilliant idea. I think I will stab a knife in my eye, to see if I will go fucking blind!
Because I am so sure, if I puncture my eyeballs, maybe I will be in pain,... or maybe not. We wouldn't know, unless we try. Sonny, go bring me my steak knife. Since being all gothy - emo and depressed is a great pain killer. Better than taking Advil.

Sorry, it is a song about self-mutilation. If you ain't mental, then the concepts makes no sense to you. No point in trying to dissect the lyrics. Only the suicidal NIN fans can decode the lyrics.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2008 11:01PM by BlacklightFreakout.

11/12/08 2:05 AM

Well, I don't know if I would be so harsh in describing what the songs' meaning is, but BlacklightFreakout....you have to realize that not everyone chooses their pain, but it is inflicked upon them by what life has dealt them.

You can't underestimate depression and true sadness....it's your soul dieing, and you basically have no will to live when that happens.

I STILL LOVE THIS SONG.....my "only" complaint is that it has become iconic in the sense that it encapsulates what NIN is to many mainstream fans. And we all know NIN CANNOT be encapsulated!! It is too many things to be just one thing or in this case, one song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2008 02:15AM by PJRock75.

11/12/08 2:09 AM

Oh, and to answer your original question...IMO, I don't think he means I'm gonna stay who I am before I turn into the bitter person the world made me, but more, I wish I could find a way to not go through with suicide because I wish it didn't come to this and I could have continued somehow.

11/12/08 3:19 AM

BlacklightFreakout posted:
I dislike that song with a fucking passion. It is like one of those songs created for people who refuse to take their Prozac
And you listen to Nine Inch Nails?!? That's about as ridiculous as a Rage Against the Machine fan getting annoyed with "Killing in the Name of" because it's too political.

Oddly enough, happy songs tend to annoy me.

11/12/08 5:14 AM

I've always thought it meant despite everything I've been through and how much it hurts, this is still who I am and I wouldn't want to be someone else.

You are someone else
I am still right here

It's weird, I've always assumed that's exactly what it meant. I never considered that it might have different meaning to other people.

11/12/08 8:00 AM

PJRock75 posted:
Well, I don't know if I would be so harsh in describing what the songs' meaning is, but BlacklightFreakout....you have to realize that not everyone chooses their pain, but it is inflicked upon them by what life has dealt them.

You can't underestimate depression and true sadness....it's your soul dieing, and you basically have no will to live when that happens.

I STILL LOVE THIS SONG.....my "only" complaint is that it has become iconic in the sense that it encapsulates what NIN is to many mainstream fans. And we all know NIN CANNOT be encapsulated!! It is too many things to be just one thing or in this case, one song.

Well said

11/12/08 8:14 AM

I dislike that song with a fucking passion. It is like one of those songs created for people who refuse to take their Prozac, because they got nothing better to do but to drive themselves crazy and the people around them fucking nuts, too. Even the lyrics is so fucking blowhard for attention. "I hurt myself today, to see if I can feel." Well, Goddamn! What a brilliant idea. I think I will stab a knife in my eye, to see if I will go fucking blind!
Because I am so sure, if I puncture my eyeballs, maybe I will be in pain,... or maybe not. We wouldn't know, unless we try. Sonny, go bring me my steak knife. Since being all gothy - emo and depressed is a great pain killer. Better than taking Advil.

Sorry, it is a song about self-mutilation. If you ain't mental, then the concepts makes no sense to you. No point in trying to dissect the lyrics. Only the suicidal NIN fans can decode the lyrics.

That's a pretty rude and somewhat ignorant interpretation of the song, if you ask me (the first paragraph). People that don't take their medication don't do it to hurt themselves; they do it because a) they don't want to or b) they hate pills. I myself don't like taking my medication but I know I have to otherwise my mental self will destroy my physical self.

NINWiki posted:
The meaning of this song is entirely debatable. Some may interpret this as a depressing suicide note, while others may find it to describe someone finding a new lease on life.

It should be noted that the lyric "A million miles away" is referenced in both the songs 1,000,000 and All The Love in the World, and the suicidal themes surrounding the songs, especially "1,000,000," may indicate a connection.

Remember, guys: any problems that you have (well, most of them) are created inside your mind. All of your problems are inflicted on you through your mind and inside yourself. Sure, there are things like Darfur or what happened at the hotel in Rwanda or the mass genocide in the Middle East but the pain that you feel is created inside your mind. People that cut themselves or overdose on drugs, they do it not because they WANT to, they do it because they feel that they HAVE to so they can let go of the pain that they go through on a day to day basis. I'm guilty of that self-infliction of pain, over and over again. At the same time, though, I am relatively emotionless towards tragic and terrible things like genocide. I have no control over it. That doesn't mean I'm a heartless bastard but I've lived my life saying "Fuck this, fuck that, fuck everything." It's not my fault. It's how I raised myself.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2008 08:20AM by neoistheone4.

11/12/08 9:17 AM

I don't have a depressive nature so I've never related to it on that level but I can appreciate it for what it is. It's a bit dated though IMO. That's not what NIN is to me anymore: omg I hate myself, I'm gonna cut myself I'm so gawthy...lame. It makes me laugh to see that people still describe the band and Trent as "goth" or whatever because when I see him I see a high school gym coach or something.

And I hate hearing it live--the crowd clapping, singing along,& random meatheads screaming ruins it.

11/12/08 8:25 AM

Hi mod. Delete me smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2008 08:28AM by blackholedays.

11/12/08 8:27 AM

neoistheone4 posted:
NINWiki posted:
The meaning of this song is entirely debatable. Some may interpret this as a depressing suicide note, while others may find it to describe someone finding a new lease on life.

It should be noted that the lyric "A million miles away" is referenced in both the songs 1,000,000 and All The Love in the World, and the suicidal themes surrounding the songs, especially "1,000,000," may indicate a connection.

I agree with the first paragraph. I think it's the suicide note left when he blowed his fucking brains out in The Downward Spiral

On the second paragraph... well. I just don't agree. "Being a million miles away" is a common expression. I mean, nothing special. I think 1.000.000 is about being so pissed off not, in any case, about suicide

Put the gun
In my mouth
Close your eyes
Blow my fucking brains out
Pretty patterns
On the floor
That's enough for you
But i still need more

I think that this verses relate to "I don't feel any thing at all". It's like "ok, severe my hands and separate myself into pieces. I'm so numb that I can't feel the pain and you need more than that to make me bow down"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2008 08:28AM by blackholedays.

11/12/08 8:58 AM

If you ask me, each album has a different meaning, a different mindset, and so on. But they are comparable (very subtly).

11/12/08 9:38 AM

I only have a minute, got class, so on the whiz...

I would keep my self, I would find a way.

I would be healthy, not do drugs, have a better, healthier mindset. I would find another way to be happy, instead of simply finding pleasure in something easy like drugs, that will eventually tear me apart.

11/12/08 10:22 AM

I hurt myself today
To see if i still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But i remember everything
What have i become?
My sweetest friend
Everyone i know
Goes away in the end
You could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
I wear my crown of s**t
On my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stain of time
The feeling disappears
You are someone else
I am still right here
What have i become?
My sweetest friend
Everyone i know
Goes away in the end
You could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
If i could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

Here's the lyrics, just in case people here on NIN don't know them.

joke....

but it's for reference too.

11/12/08 10:30 AM

To me, it's totally debatable. the only thing is, in the final lyrics he states, "IF i could...I WOULD..."

"IF" means that it won't happen. He probably won't be able to repair from his mistakes. There's no choice in changing. In sense, he probably hurt himself to where he won't be able to recooperate. I think he finally realizes everything that he was doing was wrong and hurtful to others and to himself and when he finally wants to change, I think it's too much to repair, so he does the only thing left. same with "would", it means he won't change. if he said i "WILL" that would be he's going to make a difference, but "would" means he won't be able to. It's sad, i hate songs about suicide or even near-suicidal, to me there's always hope in life, and others are so depressed or ill in their lives that they find it's the only way. I believe that's what he rights about in these lyrics (to me).

It can also mean that he can't go back in time, which we would all wish we could do, and change the past. Instead he regrets his past and guilts over his mistakes and he's finally feeling the sorrow. The final lyrics "IF" probably means if "HE COULD" meaning if he had the choice of going back, "I WOULD" means he determined to change his past and make himself better again.

I like to think happy by saying that he will finally change and go back to his normal roots and pick himself up after everything that has been happening to him. That he's found the happiness to being himself again. That's he's turned a different cheek and moved on from his past. That's my Christian side of me.

Johnny Cash's version is more emotional and deals with more of a Christian point of view. It deals how he hurt Jesus and his Family, more focusing on his Wife, by doing the things he regretted doing in the past. That's what I always felt what Hurt was about. Though, throughout Downward Spiral, I think Hurt is simply guilt, regret and sorrow for the things the person has done.

Last Note: It could also mean a "state of mind" suicide. Where the character kills the other person inside of him, like his persona or "alter-ego". He probably had an urge to do all the wrong things in the Downward Spiral that when he finally sees the wrong, he kills off his persona and goes back to himself.

hopefully most of this made sense. lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2008 10:53AM by xKillerZombiex.

11/14/08 11:44 AM

wow, thanks for the responses everyone, didn't expect this much. smiling smiley

and a special thanks to blacklightfreakout, funny yet...a bit ignorant. kinda funny how very little some people can imagine being in someone else's shoes.

11/14/08 12:34 PM

"If" implies that the following or preceding action is plausible. "Could" would imply that the action cannot be done. "Would" implies that it will be done. Know your linguistics.

Maybe I'm a dumbass for the above comment. sad smiley

11/14/08 4:04 PM

blackholedays posted:
I think it's the suicide note left when he [blew] his fucking brains out in The Downward Spiral

totally agreed. by this point, the narrator in TDS [album] has gone through this destructive, self or otherwise, path to find what makes him feel good and has found nothing that fully satisfies. the note he leaves ["Hurt," by this interpretation] has his reflections on a last attempt at feeling something good [heroin, it seems - his "sweetest friend"] and a sort of revelation that even getting high isn't the same anymore ["you are someone else"]. so, in this context, the final lines seem to say that he'd not lose himself again and would try not to pursue satisfaction in the same way if he got another chance at life. the bullet apparently became the gateway to a second chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 04:05PM by seasonsinthesky.

11/16/08 6:58 PM

I always saw Hurt as a drifting spirit regretting his recent suicide (in the song The Downward Spiral).

The crashing noise at the end basically tells the spirit just went to hell or whatever.

**shrugs** Maybe just me.

12/04/08 1:34 PM

i dont really interpret it as a song about self mutilation,more about feeling inadequate and numb,then the hurting himself thing to me is him letting his problems hurt him.

12/18/08 11:23 AM

that song is really confusing and very smart its hard for me to tell what its about

12/18/08 8:49 PM

i always thought hurt was a coda to TDS. character finds light at the end of what he has done and makes a note of it. again his dark side prevailed to no end.

12/18/08 9:07 PM

Its about bunny rabits ppl.

now u know.

12/19/08 2:35 AM

I never ceased to love this song and the way it's evolved. It cannot be overplayed. I love the fragility of the TDS version, and the intensity of the live versions (especially the FTDS one), even if the cheerful singing along by many fans one some live versions seems silly.

The lyrics are indeed debatable and open to any interpretation. 'The needle tears a hole' might indicate heroin usage (OD?). I think that in general it's a selfdestructive song with light at the end of the tunnel (if I could start again / a million miles away / I would keep myself / I would find a way): when given the opportunity, he'll save himself and find a way to change things for the better.

And then this:

VigilX posted:
I dislike that song with a fucking passion. It is like one of those songs created for people who refuse to take their Prozac

And you listen to Nine Inch Nails?!? That's about as ridiculous as a Rage Against the Machine fan getting annoyed with "Killing in the Name of" because it's too political.

Oddly enough, happy songs tend to annoy me.

QFT tongue sticking out smiley

12/19/08 4:04 AM

I am pretty sure it is about all the feelings that surround a desperate person that realizes that he is self-destructing (with drug use) and taking all the people/things he loves with him. Not sure if you guys know how addicted Johnny Cash was during his life but the song is a perfect fit for him also.
EDIT: This song can never be played enough as far as I am concerned. It remains the only song that I still get chills from, both live and recorded, probably due to the fact that I have been in that same place before in my life. It always serves as a reminder of a time/place in my life that I can not, WILL not return to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2008 04:10AM by jodiFL.

12/19/08 11:30 AM

Like all Nine Inch Nails, the meaning of Hurt can be discussed and interperted in many different ways.

12/19/08 1:37 PM

this is definatly one of the strongest songs i ever heard. there was a while when i heard i couldnt help but cry inside cuz of all the visions i felt adn related to. and i agree with videodrone, trent lyrics can be interpreted in many ways and there are tons of thigs that each persons experiences and relate to in some way or another. for me when i hear hurt, i cant help but vision heroin and all the evils along with it. specially the very last 2 lines, thats the most emotional part for me.

12/19/08 2:18 PM

thefragileDemon posted:
Its about bunny rabits ppl.

now u know.

Now it all makes sense LOL

I always thought Hurt was a direct message to someone who Trent felt he drove away because of his state of mind/body at the time. All I know is I feel a deep sadness for him beacuse (to me) that song is dripping with personal anguish that is very hard not to see.

12/20/08 3:06 AM

I hurt myself today
To see if i still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real

I have never understood why people would hurt themselves to feel. I don't understand cutting or anything like that. Why would you hurt yourself? Can someone explain.

nin forums : Nine Inch Nails Discussion : meaning of hurt lyric
Page:  1 2 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy