nin.com news 2.16.09: A note from Trent and a wave goodbye

Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11...Last >

02/16/09 4:05 PM

trent reznor posted:
Towards the beginning of my career in Nine Inch Nails, our biggest break came in the form of an invitation to perform a series of shows with Jane's Addiction. These performances essentially created and defined the term "alternative" rock in the US, created an ongoing festival franchise that is still thriving (Lollapalooza), set the stage for Nirvana to shift popular taste a few months later, and were really fucking FUN to play and attend - truly the best times I've had. The shows were epic. So epic, they propelled NIN to the "next level" (whatever that means), but caused Jane's to implode. The band broke up at the end of that tour.Fast forward to the present. Corporate rock STILL sucks. A friend tells me they saw the original Jane's lineup play a tiny show in LA that was unbelievable. I break out my Jane's records and am amazed by how vital they sound. These guys were the real deal and in this current climate mostly dominated by poseurs and pussies it was refreshing to hear something that sounded dangerous, volatile, beautiful and SINCERE.Emails were sent, phone calls were made, dinner was arranged, ideas were discussed and the next thing I know we're in the studio experimenting. We laugh, we get to know each other, we cry, we yell, we almost quit, we record LOTS of guitar solos, we discuss, we actually begin to all communicate, we yell some more, we become FRIENDS, we laugh again and we do some great things. I get to see first hand why they broke up all those years ago but I also get the chance to see four distinct personalities that become an INCREDIBLE band when they're in the same room.In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year. The approach to these shows is quite different from last year - much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted. Fun for us and a different way for you to see us and wave goodbye. I reached out to Jane's to see if they'd want to join us across the US and we all felt it could be a great thing. Will it work? Will it resonate in the marketplace? Who knows. Is there big record label marketing dollars to convince you to attend? Nope.Does it feel right to us and does it seem like it will be fun for us and you? Yes it does.Look for tour dates soon and I hope to see you out there.Trent

02/16/09 4:08 PM

I can't wait to see what the new shows will be like, sounds like it will be very entertaining.

02/16/09 4:09 PM

wait...what?

02/16/09 4:10 PM

Craziness.

Don't let it be a forever goodbye dammit. 2 years? winking smiley

I look forward to seeing whatever comes from this spring/summer as far as tour dates from you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 04:10PM by TheInternetIsSerious.

So sad that NIN is at the end of the tunnel......I was hoping this day would never come......

I will make sure that I attend one of those shows.

02/16/09 4:11 PM

Oh man....I hope I get to wave goodbye at one of those shows...*crosses fingers*

I'm definitely going to one of these shows.

Oh man....

02/16/09 4:12 PM

And let the explosion begin..... now.

Null78 posted:
I will make sure that I attend one of those shows.

Holy crap. Please do your best to make it to these shows everyone!
And Trent/whoever it may concern....Milwaukee/Chicago/Madison...somewhere in this area. I missed the Minneapolis show last year due to the cancellation. Please let me experience the show one more (last?) time.

02/16/09 5:12 PM

"I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while."

"After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year."

This f*cker really is retiring. How sad. For us, for music.

I'm logging off for a few days--before the suicide posts start again...

**backs away from thread**

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 04:15PM by Thelema.

this makes me sadder than you can imagine.
i hope this just means you'll be doing something new, expanding your musical horizons, and not just opening a crappy art studio.
please.

If this is "good-bye," then just let me say thank you for everything during the years of NIN's existence.

02/16/09 4:13 PM

selfhaphazardyet_ posted:
wait...what?

I second that.

Most fucking definitely. myself, my mom, and my little brother will be there if you come to coloradooo! They LOVE jane's addiction and just recently got back into them.
And I, of course, have never not been into you.
Obviously. xD
and if not in CO, then it'll be only me.

And I think you deserve time off. What the eff.
Like 3-4 years.
Relax and sleep, trent, sleep. :]

I can only hope that Trent considers "making NIN disappear for awhile" similar to the lengthy break between Fragile and With Teeth.

The music industry frankly needs a person like Trent around to keep the Simon Cowell-American Idol induced crap that is over running the entertainment world.

Entertainment period, now, in this depressing world collapse, needs the brilliance and escape that Trent's imagination and skills deliver.

Most importantly....thanks Trent. For the soundtrack of my generation.

This will go to 7,000 replies within a week.

02/16/09 5:13 PM

oh boy.

WHAT?! Trent, this is... I think I'm going to cry. NIN is too much of a talented concept to quit.
Trent, you are a music genius.
I guess I will have to accept this and hope for the best in your future and health.
I hope you will at least stay in music in some form!
I seek comfort and strength in your lyrics and even the instrumentals (especially off of The Fragile album).
I express sincere gratitude for all that you have created in music.
I love every song even the ones where I'm not quite sure how to relate to them.
I appreciate every bit of your generosity and tendencies to be perfect in shows just for your fans.
You will always be a legend in my mind and an inspiration to my life.

PLEASE, one request before I go!!!

WILL YOU PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, PLEASE smiling bouncing smiley) SIGN AUTOGRAPHS AT BONNAROO?confused smiley
(They have 30 minute sessions for bands to sign autographs.)

Thank you for your time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 06:39PM by skitzy.

02/16/09 4:14 PM

(cries)

Wow. It's been amazing and good luck!

Man I hope that didn't mean what I think it means.
The world needs NIN.

sad! I´m gonna miss you!!

02/16/09 4:15 PM

you will be missed
just don't disappear completely on us

02/16/09 4:15 PM

I.Am.So.At.Every.Show.In.The.UK.

I don't care who I have to sell to get there, I'm fuckin' there.
With bells on.

02/16/09 4:16 PM

02/16/09 4:16 PM

Man, I was thinking that the band was just taking off again and now this. i agree with whitenoise; thank you Trent.

***Now What?***

02/16/09 5:16 PM

I really feel that its not goodbye forever, TR really needs a really long break.

Looking forward to the up coming tour information.

nin forums : Nine Inch Nails Discussion : nin.com news 2.16.09: A not...
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11...Last >
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

terms of use | privacy policy