Puscifer Channel Tapeworm on New EP

11/14/09 10:34 AM

Posted on Nov 13th 2009

... and in taking a closer look at the Maynard James Keenan-led project's album credits, it seems as though 'Potions' -- track number five -- is co-written by Nine Inch Nails mastermind Trent Reznor, invoking memories of Maynard and Trent's oft-mentioned, never fully realized side-project Tapeworm, which ceased to exist in 2004.

If speculation serves correct, the Tapeworm track that appears on this EP is the second Tapeworm song committed to recording and released by Maynard

FULL STORY

This would be damn interesting!

5. "Potions "Deliverance Mix"" (M. Keenan, T. Reznor, M. Mitchell) 4:35

[www.youtube.com]

11/14/09 11:58 AM

old news, but i'm not sure if there's a better topic to post about it (besides Random NIN Comments).

11/14/09 12:13 PM

LOL the album/song was released 4 days ago - I guess that is old news for some.

Kick ass song though!

11/14/09 2:26 PM

true, but it was announced something like a week beforehand, including writing credits, on the Puscifer website.

it's a good song, but i don't hear anything particularly TR-ish...

11/14/09 4:29 PM

That's cool. I always have the hope in the back of my mind that Tapeworm can resurrect, but if it doesn't I won't be crying to anybody.

Also, I heard TR was a bit dissatisfied with Maynard playing one of the Tapeworm songs on the A Perfect Circle tours? Maybe gossip, but that's what I understand?

11/15/09 1:25 AM

Keenan seems to be doing just everything but going back to Tool sad smiley

11/15/09 10:18 PM

Here's a better U-Tube lynk - the other one seems to F-Up ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2z10xVm1k&feature=related

P.S. don't forget to pay the fucking dollar to DL the song or album ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2009 10:27PM by snaapz.

11/16/09 12:57 AM

sounds a little wretched-y in the synth bass programming.

11/17/09 5:03 AM

Fanboys need to let go of Tapeworm already...

11/17/09 9:32 AM

Jen Guyre ... She's not a fan boy - she's a writer for noisecreep.com

AnnaDraconida posted:

11/17/09 9:58 AM

I still don't think this has anything to do with Tapeworm. It's probably just TR contributing to the song of his buddy; but it's impossible to mention their names in the same sentence without adding TAPEWORM, even though it's been dead & buried for over half a decade.

11/17/09 4:04 PM

The synth programming is slightly similar to what you hear in "The Wretched" and a good majority of the guitar is similar to various songs from "The Fragile." The outro of the song is constructed similar to "The Perfect Drug" and the cover of Numan's "Metal." In places, some of the lyrics carry a NIN vibe.

You would have to be in denial and upset or annoyed about all of the bullshit relating to the Tapeworm project to hear or think otherwise.

I'd say Reznor has had a hand in this somehow, if it isn't actually based on multi-tracks derived from a Tapeworm song. Keep in mind what you are hearing has been dubbed the "Deliverance Mix."

It would be interesting to hear the original mix.

However on the flip side, knowing Keenan, he likes to fuck with people. Rumors have circulated for a while now that "REV 22:20" and "The Undertaker" (and the Renholder mix of "Undertaker" as well) are also based on Tapeworm material. Then, of course, you have "Passive/Vacant," which actually has its roots in Tapeworm material, something that has been confirmed by both Reznor and Keenan. This could be a thought-out jab at those rumors and opinions pertaining to "Vacant."

In any case, it's a neat song, a decent song even. Puscifer isn't what I would consider a 100 percent serious project. It's more so light-hearted than anything and serious songs are few and far between. At the surface, this song doesn't seem to be completely light-hearted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2009 04:12PM by anunknownpresence.

11/17/09 4:29 PM

AnnaDraconida posted:

or shove a tapeworm up their ass

11/17/09 4:36 PM

CharmlessMan posted:
AnnaDraconida posted:
or point that fucking finger up their ass

... wait a second ...

11/17/09 4:50 PM

BenAkenobi posted:
Keenan seems to be doing just everything but going back to Tool sad smiley

So? Let him wander & try different things grinning smiley

11/18/09 2:18 PM

i love you, maynard.

11/18/09 7:31 PM

Maynard posted something about th song on his twitter.
Twitter.com/mjkeenan

He clears up a few things, seems pissed too.

11/18/09 10:28 PM

From Puscifer's blog:

posted:
Writing and performing 11/18/09:

Ok. Let's use an APC album as an example. eMOTIVe. APC did a song called "Imagine." If you view the credits for the song you'll find various bits of info. Generally speaking the writers name appears in paranthesis next to the track. The performer info may or may not be listed in the album credits. If you see performer info it may be broken down to instruments. For example... "Billy Howerdel - Guitars and Back-up Vocals. Josh Freese - Drums and percussion, etc... Or it may be a given that the people who performed on this project/album/track are the band in question. So it will just say "B Howerdel - guitars, Josh Freese - drums, M J Keenan - vocals, etc... But Writing credits are different. Next to "Imagine" you'll see the name John Lennon. Because he wrote the song. You may want to sit down for the next bit. Ready? John Lennon didn't perform or sing or play on the APC version of "Imagine." He didn't produce it, direct it, co-produce it, or grab us Latte's during the recording of it. Why? Because he's dead. he just wrote it. And we performed a version of it. If you visit the Project Credits of this site now, you'll start to see what we mean. Hope that helps.

From the "Project Credits" section of the Puscifer website:

posted:
Potions "Deliverance mix" (m. keenan, t. reznor, m. mitchell)
vocals - maynard keenan
drums - tim alexander
bass - mat mitchell
programming - mat mitchell
banjo, mandolin, guitar - jonny polonsky

From Keenan's Twitter account:

posted:
2 conclude if i may. If u HATE Potions, hate US not Trent. We wrote it together, but PUSCIFER produced it. It was my wedding present 2 him.

So, basically, Keenan has angrily confirmed that, yes, it is a Tapeworm song but it was covered by Puscifer. Cool.

11/18/09 11:07 PM

It's on Wikipedia now, making everything official. tongue sticking out smiley

[en.wikipedia.org]

If someone will just CTRL+V that onto NINWiki's page, we won't ever have to wonder about it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 11:14PM by anunknownpresence.

11/18/09 11:18 PM

Wikipedia is open to ANYONE for edits. I wouldn't call Wikipedia official lol MJK is pretty damn official though

11/19/09 1:45 AM

CharmlessMan posted:
Wikipedia is open to ANYONE for edits. I wouldn't call Wikipedia official lol MJK is pretty damn official though

Except for when he announced he was becoming a born again Christian.

11/19/09 9:08 PM

^ true dat

11/19/09 9:19 PM

CharmlessMan posted:
bluenihil posted:
CharmlessMan posted:

Except for when he announced he was becoming a born again Christian.
^ true dat

April Fool's Day is open game to say anything winking smiley

11/20/09 1:13 AM

Yeah, but technically the announcement was up on the 31st.

nin forums : Nine Inch Nails Discussion : Puscifer Channel Tapeworm o...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy