nin.com news 1.5.10: NIN fans collaborate on massive free DVD/Blu-ray of "Lights In The Sky"

Page:  1 2 3 4 5 >

01/05/10 11:15 AM

rob_sheridan posted:
Our 2008 Lights In The Sky tour was an ambitious multimedia production on a scale well beyond anything we'd ever attempted before. Everyone involved was extremely proud of how it came together, and we were devastated when, for a variety of reasons, we were unable to capture it professionally for a theatrical or commercial release. As a "plan B" of sorts, early last year we released a massive 405gb free download of raw HD footage captured at three different shows during the tour. The idea was to get the footage out in the wild and see what our notoriously enterprising fans could do with it. There were no rules. No strings attached. This was a gift, and an experiment, and for the past year we've watched it come to life in more ways than we could have ever imagined.

Fans have edited thousands of videos from the footage, assembled their own DVDs and live albums, even held theatrical screenings of their creations. And now, the ambitious and well-organized group known as This One Is On Us have released their massive, highly-anticipated creation, Another Version of the Truth: The Gift.

For 12 months, a core team of dozens of fans and a network of thousands spanning the entire globe pooled their efforts to create this professional-quality 1080p 5.1 concert film, and have released it in every format from Blu-ray and DVD to iPod and YouTube. It combines footage from all three shows and includes DVD menus, bonus footage, a PDF booklet, and more. That something of this scale was produced entirely by fans, on their own time, purely for the sake of giving something back to the community, is absolutely unprecedented. You can read all about the project and find all the download links here, or watch it immediately on YouTube here. Theatrical screenings are already being organized, you can find more info about those here.

This is yet another example of a devoted fanbase and a policy of openness combining to fill in blanks left by old media barriers. The entire NIN camp is absolutely thrilled that treating our fans with respect and nurturing their creativity has led to such an overwhelming outpour of incredible content, and that we now have such a high quality souvenir from our most ambitious tour ever. Or, as Trent simply put it, "Nine Inch Nails fans kick ass."

LEO EDIT: Links and formatting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 12:38PM by leo3375.

01/05/10 11:30 AM

"This is yet another example of a devoted fanbase and a policy of openness combining to fill in blanks left by old media barriers."

Yeah, but dude: Universal is giving fans a free copy of Tweetdeck!

But seriously folks: Huge props to all the fans who made this happen. The rest of us NIN fans thank you profusely.

01/05/10 11:33 AM

I was wondering when this was going to be out. Haven't been around much lately.

As someone who didn't make it to any of the Lights shows, thanks to everyone involved in this project. I'm watching some of the youtube footage right now and it looks and sounds awesome!

01/05/10 11:35 AM

I'm going to post this image again for any who didn't catch it in the Thisoneisonus thread:

http://ninjakcdvd.deejaygamer.com/santatrent_thanks2.jpg

I originally posted it a bit closer to Christmas but it was still technically belated by a couple or so days. lol

Thanks for letting us know that all of our work is appreciated. The whole group is very proud of what we've achieved so far, and cannot wait to release the other two discs that will complete this series (bonus disc + the Las Vegas show).

I guess the big question once we achieve that is, "What next?"

i am looking 4ward 2 checking out the projects. great job every1!

01/05/10 11:36 AM

Thanks so much to all who made this happen.

Truly an amazing gift!!

My little contribution will be to seed for as long as necessary.

01/05/10 11:36 AM

An incredible job, TOIOU! Thank you, with all of my heart, for all of the hard work each and every one of you put into making this happen. You all rock, and you just showed the world how awesome and dedicated Nine Inch Nails fans really are.

Thank you Trent, for being such a visionary in all of this and allowing things like this to happen. You are absolutely brilliant.

01/05/10 11:37 AM

I downloaded it last weekend - it's fantastic. Just as good as being there (well...that's impossible). But thanks guys - it really is ultra awesome to have the best NIN tour on video.

01/05/10 11:45 AM

This just goes to show that a lot of individuals putting in a small effort can just blow away even a great effort by a few. We (the many) can produce what we want without the old media (the few) being able to stop it. Old media are screwed.

01/05/10 11:48 AM

Hell to the yes!! I'm glad the fans, and more specifically TOIOU crew, got some deserved kudos from the NIN camp!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

01/05/10 11:49 AM

A beyond awesome job. Its spectacular!thumbs up
Thanks to everyone who made it happen! smiling smiley
NIN fans truly do kick ass. thumbs upthumbs up

01/05/10 11:54 AM

I don't think this is the end for fan collaboration with NIN material either. Between the footage, and multi-tracks I'm guessing a bit that there will be more.

Hopefully, if there's anything more kicking around on Trent, Rob's or Blumpy's systems we can steal the rest of it smiling smiley

For myself, I'm not really playing with the footage or multi-tracks, however, I am fiddling with NIN:Access messages from the tour and the youtube/flickr tagging.

So, programmers can have fun, I think, as well tongue sticking out smiley

01/05/10 11:57 AM

An amazing job TOIOU! Thank you!!!!!!!!

NIN fans kick ass!!!!!! the finger smiley

01/05/10 12:24 PM

there is a community with unity in the music of nine inch nails and between all of us we posses true power in this world...we are the computer hackers, we are M.I. agents, we are FBI executives...hell man i was watching special features of T2 the other day and Robert Patrick is sporting lots of NIN logo's in his interviews...when presented with the moment we will strike...and it will look fucking cool when we do it....it's about building to something that is going to really affect us in the future and we will be prepared and the world of mindless cows is going to need our leadership and focus. thanks for reading...i'm stoked to watch it later today! cheers!
-jamesREEVES-

01/05/10 12:37 PM

*Does happy dance*

01/05/10 12:47 PM

Already have watched my copy at home a few times!

Damn I hope the blu-ray download comes soon...I'm trying to organize a screening at a theater, and I want to make damn sure the quality is the best I can get!

01/05/10 12:50 PM

I would like to thank the NIN community for such a wonderful gift. To see the email proclaiming that The Gift was finished, sitting in my inbox was the best Christmas present EVER! NIN fans do kick ass! If only we could get this kind of love and respect in outside world! Wow, what we could accomplish! Kudos to all that made it happen.

01/05/10 12:56 PM

Thanks TOIOU!!! This is love, pure love for NIN!!! Amazing work! Thanks!

01/05/10 12:58 PM

Yeah, that is an awesome thing they made. Downloaded it on Christmas, watched it twice on boxing day. Very well done, I'm very happy to be a part of a community that does this kind of stuff. Greaty looking forward to the Vegas portion.

01/05/10 1:07 PM

I think this sums it up, when the NIN community is not applying effort to an actual project... This is the result.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/dailycp/post_pics/bat_reptile.png

jamesreeves posted:
there is a community with unity in the music of nine inch nails and between all of us we posses true power in this world...we are the computer hackers, we are M.I. agents, we are FBI executives...hell man i was watching special features of T2 the other day and Robert Patrick is sporting lots of NIN logo's in his interviews...when presented with the moment we will strike...and it will look fucking cool when we do it....it's about building to something that is going to really affect us in the future and we will be prepared and the world of mindless cows is going to need our leadership and focus. thanks for reading...i'm stoked to watch it later today! cheers!
-jamesREEVES-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 01:11PM by jarrettwold.

01/05/10 1:22 PM

I put something of an article on my NIN|JA KC DVD website about this just a bit ago: [ninjakcdvd.deejaygamer.com]

Most of it's about the failed 3D project and why it fell through (and how it's not necessarily because Interscope wouldn't let Trent have the rights to his own damn songs).

However, if you want the "short version", skip to the final paragraph, which I'll quote here:

posted:
Ultimately, as cool as the 3D production would have been, it would've been nowhere near as historic as AVOTT; The Gift. People could've easily written off LiTS 3D as just another 3D concert experience in the vein of U2 and Hanna Montana, but this is something different altogether-it may not look as cool, but it's certainly a cooler thing anyway.

01/05/10 1:50 PM

NIN fans DO kick some major ass. Bravo to all that made this happen. It feels so amazing to be able to relive an unbelieveable tour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 01:51PM by bunnytrent9.

01/05/10 1:51 PM

I am just writing in to echo the Thank-you's! Truly amazing work. Thanks so much to all who were involved. You captured the memory for all of us who were there to witness it. My only regret during LITS was that I would probably never see anything like that again, and now I can.

01/05/10 2:18 PM

Found the info on how to download this incredible DVD!!! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 04:28PM by kgrochowski.

01/05/10 2:18 PM

Props to all the guys working on the project. ...Especially those out there filming it (whether or not it was encouraged). winking smiley

It's moments like these when you realize there just might be hope for the music industry yet.

01/05/10 2:28 PM

HELL YEAH.

01/05/10 2:38 PM

Arkefin posted:
HELL YEAH.

Ditto.

01/05/10 2:40 PM

Fucking awesome!

01/05/10 2:45 PM

nine inch nails : [after all is said and done] - an all HD, entirely fan-made, DVD & Blu-Ray of Nine Inch Nails final show ever, comprised of over 1 Terabyte of footage, and created by a time of versed A/V professionals including, 5 professional video editors, 2 Audio Engineers (mixing in 5.1 and surround), a professional Blu-Ray and DVD author, Motion Graphics artists, Color Correctors, Web Designers, Artists, Technical Consultants, and Content Creators. For more :

read the project interview here:
[www.reflectinginthechrome.com]

and visit the facebook page here:
[bit.ly]

twitter:
[twitter.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 02:55PM by synthetik.

nin forums : Nine Inch Nails Discussion : nin.com news 1.5.10: NIN fa...
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 >
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please log in at the top of the page.

terms of use | privacy policy